2015 Theatre Breaks Survey and Competition


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Covent Garden
September 8th 2015
Published: September 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The annual London Theatre Breaks Survey is not a massive affair. More it is just a bit of fun to see what people think of going to the theatre, how they do it, why they do it and with whom they do it.

Well that was last year. This year we are looking at the attitude you have on stars being used to attract audiences to shows, the cost of those shows and what effect the cost has on your theatre-going.

In 2014 over 3200 respondants answered our question from all around the country, not just Londoners but people who visit for a variety of reasons - leisure, education, family and business.

We learnt what shows you have seen and what shows you would like to see and who you would go to the theatre with. Did you know that you are 6 times more likely to take a female family member than a male family member to the theatre? We found that quite remarkable.

This year (2015) we have been pondering what brings you into the theatre and what keeps you out. The recent success of Benedict Cumberbatch's appearance in Hamlet at the Barbican has obviously been very popular, but with the only tickets left for sale being day tickets or those costing over £200 it is fairly clear that they are on the road to discovering what people will pay and what they will not for a good ticket in London - even if that ticket is to see "TV's Sherlock Holmes!"

That £200 ticket price is a bit of a mile stone this year. The Book of Mormon, which is rather a grown up affair - even though it is a little silly - has been selling £200+ tickets for a few months but at least it also had tickets at the cheaper end of the range too. Now the real shocker is the family show Elf The Musical, based on the hit film which will be opening in Octoer with top prices at £240 and the very cheapest ticket at over £50!!!

You see although the headline prices are high and shocking and yes, "headline-grabbing", in reality the average ticket price paid for a seat in a London theatre is a smidge over £40. This is partly due to special offers, group discounts and events like Kids week in August wehen kids go free and the fact that when producers can't sell tickets at £240 you will find them nearer the time a lot cheaper than the asking price!

So The 2015 Theatre Breaks Survey will hope to get under the skin of your theatre-going and, as a thank you, those who submit their answers will get an entry into Theatre Breaks competition to win a London Theatre Break for two.

For further information and to complete the survey you can go to http://www.theatrebreaks.co.uk/2015-london-theatre-breaks-survey/

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb