London Surprise


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 18 July 2015

We have arrived in London to stay with our daughter and son-in-law and to continue the birthday celebrations begun in Berlin on 4 July. We have no idea what is in store today, are under strict instructions to be ready to leave the house at 10.30 am and to ask no questions. Occasional mysterious whispers around corners are intriguing, but give no hint of the day's programme. Holly the dog seemed to be out for a long walk in preparation for a quiet day at a nearby daycare for dogs facility, so we must be going somewhere unsuitable for dogs.

The appointed departure time arrived and four well-presented people were ready to roll. To the station we went. In quick succession the Metropolitan, Bakerloo and Picadilly lines got us to our destination - Covent Garden. This attractive area of London was alive with people enjoying their Saturday, buskers attracting plenty of attention and shops and cafés doing a roaring trade. A decision was made to have a quick bite to eat in a very pleasant cafe with a great menu. Curiosity was mounting. What would be in store after lunch? More rides on the Tube?
The Royal Opera HouseThe Royal Opera HouseThe Royal Opera House

Waiting for the curtain to be raised.
To what destination?

Very soon all was revealed. We walked around a corner or two and found ourselves at the entrance to the Royal Opera House. First thought: this can't be happening. But it was. In we went, joining many other excited patrons there for the matinee performance by a group of young artists who are mentored by renowned opera singers through the Jette Parker Young Artists scheme at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. This birthday surprise is huge. Entering the auditorium was breathtaking: all red and gold, wIth the boxes rising up around us and the great curtains with their Royal Crests firmly closed until the big moment. The programme revealed a further surprise. Joining the Young Artists on stage would be opera diva Nelly Miricioiu, their mentor and singing teacher of our London-based daughter. This would be our first chance to hear Nelly perform, and what a setting for the occasion. What followed was scenes from opera, performed with brilliance by these Young Artists. The high point was Nelly's entrance and stunning performance. She owned the stage and the audience loved it.

The performance finished to great applause and it was time to leave this
The Royal Opera House The Royal Opera House The Royal Opera House

The secret is out.
famous venue. But wait- this surprise was not over. We made our way around to the stage door, where our names were apparently on the list of those approved to go to Nelly's dressing room. This experience was yet another first for us and most enjoyable.

Eventually the time came to leave the excitement and make the return journey via the Picadilly, Bakerloo and Metropolitan lines. The day's surprises were re-lived over dinner later in the evening, with great merriment and a chance to say thank you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Royal Opera House The Royal Opera House
The Royal Opera House

Back stage in the Diva's dressing room.
Coventry GardenCoventry Garden
Coventry Garden

One of many human statues. How do they do it?


Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb