Last few days in London


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Alright, so first night got a little bonkers, but hey that will happen your first time in Europe. Over the next few days I got to really experience the greater London area which was extremely fun. One night, the second night I was here actually, we decided to go to a club one last time and this time it was a mixed bag of trying to get Michal to dance with a girl he saw first so naturally gets dibs and a very interesting run in with the one and only, Girraffasouraus. Starting with the girl, she was basically the only attractive girl at the club and the rest were mostly guys, one being around 65, and the others either having a girlfriend or creepin. The 65 year old actually tried dancing with the really attractive blonde but was shot down immediately. Give him credit, most 65 year olds would never try to keep up with a 20ish year old girl. By most, I am excluding Mr. Hefner of course and maybe Donald Trump who should probably really be worried about the birth certificate of his "wife" he gets involved with not Obama...jail baaait.
Anyways, in the end no man ever danced with this girl, even taking poor Michal's money when he bought her a drink and hardly let him have his 10 seconds of fame. I did try after Michal and she simply nudged away so that was that. Now for Girrafasouraus, she was about 6ft 3ish, a very hot mess, and extremely dumb. She stumbled her way over to the booth Michal and I were sitting at and started grabbing our faces and trying to communicate with us. Unfortunately, Michal and I have no experience in girrafasouraus tongue so we just simply nodded our head and smiled. I don't actually think I have ever in my life spoke with someone for over 15 minutes and completely had no clue what she was saying. It was some mix of drunk and british but you really just are guessing at that point. However, I will say she was extremely friendly and and did kiss us on the cheek...multiple times. You may be wondering why we didn't leave but I think we were just so dumbfounded that all we could do is stay and watch because I don't think we will ever encounter another one of those in the wild ever again. When we did leave the club we went into Piccadilly Circus, a time square like feel to it with the huge LED billboards in which we came across a man who loved playing the saxophone to 3 AM drunkards. He did a mean Bad Romance and Dynamite. I have a video of this but you will have to go on FB to see it. On our way back on the bus to get back home, there just had to be a few french people who got on the bus and how do you say "obnoxious" in french? They were belligerently drunk and we were on the second level of the bus, they were in the back. Every time they passed a girl on the streets they would pound on the window and shout "F*ck you Beeetch" over and over and over again. I guess I know where the expression "Pardon my French" comes from. Rough time back, but slept nicely for the four hours I had.
So moving on with life, the next day was much more relaxed and comfortable, although that was not exactly hard to beat. I explored the Convent Garden area which was interesting to say the least. Convent Garden is basically one huge square that was filled with street performers and tourist shops. There was a man singing Opera in the middle of an outside restaurant, very comedic magicians, local singers, and one very strange individual who came up with an act involving a ten foot ladder and knives(FB video). The square was flooded with people the entire day and was a very entertaining experience. One of the weirder things that I have seen since being in London was when I walked into an ice cream shop. The first flavor I saw was called "the baby goo goo" which was literally breast milk ice cream. Now, I was very tempted to get it but with everything being so expensive I just asked the girl working there to try a sample. To my surprise she actually was not allowed to get samples so I was not able to try baby goo goo. I experienced a local theatre show called Woman in Black. It was basically one large ghost story in this really old and unique London theatre. I absolutely loved the show and there were actual moments that I was scared through blood curdling screams that the speakers would blast through the speakers right behind you. Being genuinely scared as if I was 12 again watching The Ring for the first time was very fun. After the show it was around 10 so we hit up a local pub and had a couple beers. Unfortunately, in the Greater London area unless you are a club, you stop serving alcohol at 11:30 and close completely at midnight. Really the only thing I can complain about besides a pound being worth almost twice as much as a dollar.
Yesterday, things started very early, having to get up at 6:30 in the morning to go to mass at 8 in the morning at one of the most famous and beautiful cathedrals: St. Paul's. This place was flat out amazing and had all kinds of intricate paintings and sculptures inside, it is really too bad they don't allow pictures inside. Mass was interesting, we ended up coming in late so I did not see the whole service but it was a good time. After mass we started walking towards London Bridge. To this point we really had not seen any touristy stuff so yesterday was the day to really knock all of it out. On our way towards the bridge we ran into old town London right off the Thames River. We passed and bought tickets to go see a Shakespearean performance at The Globe for tonight which should be amazing! London Bridge was phenomenal and a definite must see in person to really appreciate it. We crossed the bridge and bought tickets for the Tower of London. As we came up to the booth to buy our tickets this man approached Michal and asked him if he could buy his pre booked ticket because he was not going to be able to attend for the day, the man was very polite and Michal bought the ticket thinking he was doing the man a great favor. Not exactly the case, well, he was doing the man a great favor just not for the same reason. As we were entering the tower my ticket was punched but as Michal was about to get his punched the lady stopped and took his ticket and said he could not enter. Why exactly? Apparently this man has been put on the hot list at this place and taking advantage of tourists who buy his tickets. As a local, he can buy a ticket to this place for merely a pound and then resell them for 20 pounds to tourists knowing that they would not be able to enter. Michal also just nearly missed getting whacked in the face by a hovering pigeon, which at that point with the way his day was going I was surprised the bird missed. For whatever reason in London, pigeons seriously think they are in charge because you have to get out of the way for them not the other way around. There have been countless times where I had to duck down in order to not get whacked by them. Such dicks. We ended up talking to the supervisor to straight en it out and we were still able to get in without much harm done. The Tower of London was very cool, getting to see King Henry VIII's armor and the Royal Jewels was well worth it.
Now, after walking all over London and waking up at an ungodly(well it was for mass so I guess godly) hour, we were exhausted. Not to mention the only thing I had to eat was a measly protein bar for breakfast. We knew exactly where we wanted to go because on our way through London there was a Pub that looked really authentic so we stopped by. Fish n Chips anyone? Well apparently they were the best in London you would think because we ended up waiting over an hour for it to come out. I had recognized the problem, we were in the restaurant portion of the pub and if we would have seen the "Grab N Go" portion of the Pub we would have gotten the same exact meal within minutes and we could have paid less by getting a smaller portion not offered at the restaurant. Basically I ended up the a big ass thing of Fish N Chips that I paid nearly $20 for and being that hungry you think it would have been fantastic but after waiting so long it pretty much took what would have been good fish n chips to average. Oh well though, we laughed about it and made jokes through out the hour waiting because that is really all you can do. Now, the second to last thing on the agenda for the day was to get a pitcher of Pimms because it is supposed to be amazing and you have to have it right on the board walk. When I ordered it, asked the bartender "This pitcher of Pimms will get us drunk right?" From what we had heard it was supposed to really hit you good but the bartender actually said "No, get the English Garden, it has Gin in it" Don't have to tell me twice, I was sold. After an extremely long and somewhat frustrating day it was exactly what we needed. The pitcher had Gin, Elderflower, Cucumbers, Oranges, and Lemonade mixed in. Finally our day was what we expected because it was very tasty. South bank was a very awesome place to enjoy it too because it was outside, overlooking the river as the sun was setting. A very cool atmosphere. The night was nearly complete. The last thing we really wanted to do was visit the Camden neighborhood. When we got there we found a very authentic english bar filled with people our age and the best part: On sundays they have live jazz bands playing so we got to hear some local jazz bands that were very good. We had to call the night early though(earlier than the bars that close in London even) and went back to the Hostel and were in bed by midnight.
Now, off to get ready for the last night in London and what better to end your stay in London than going to The Globe to witness William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. I will be in Paris tomorrow to start my 3 study abroad through France, Italy, and Belgium. Cheers!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb