Quick update on flight and first two days


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Flight Over and First Days in London
James and I are so pleased we had enough airpoints for the travel loumges. We were very tired and being able to relax and eat and drink , work on the computers and have the chance for a shower was wonderful. Unfortunately the showers were all booked and we got called for the flight to London fron Hong Kong so we missed out, but we enjoyed the Chinese Pork Buns and Pork Dumplings.
The inflight movies and games were great. Grandma saw nine movies altogether and James saw heaps too and played lots of games as well.
We arrived almost 45 minutes early at Heathrow and T wasn't even there yet, her tube train had been delayed several times so she was panicking. It was great to see her and to ride on the tube back to her place. That night we endeavoured to go to the favoured local which has great cheap two meals for the price of one, but the Uk Licensing laws conspired against us, no over 18s after 6pm. We hit the local curry house instead and managed to drink a nice Chilean Sav with our Korma and the ever popula with kids Butter Chicken.
About half way throough the meal James and I hit the wall. A good nights sleep soon sorted that and by the next morning all jet lag appeared to be conquered.

Up on Friday and time to begin the London experience. A walk via Kings Cross stationn to collect the Eurostar tickets fro Paris next Fridat and then a tube to Sth Kensington to explore the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert. James loved the dinosaurs and mammal exhibitions which are fantastic and we took lots of photos which we will attach soon.

Saturday was the Big fat Tire Bike ride. We found out about the bikes on Trip Advisory site and it was rated the number one experience. I think they are right. Cheapish, very informative and cool fun. They operate in Paris so we are definately going and because we have done it in London we get a 2 Euro discount each. It will be hard to choose which ride, Monets Gardens, Paris by day or Paris by night.

Grandma was somewhat surprised that she managed to last the whole four hours without collapse, and only in the last 30 minutes was it discovered that her bike tyre had been rubbing all the way making it quite tough, when the chain came off twice all was rectified and James was a gentleman and swapped bikes, so I arrived back in style on a great little mountainn bike.

Because we still had lots of energy left we decided to tick the London Eye off the to do list. The signs are very confusing but we ended up only having to wait a half hour before climbing into the capsule for our 30 minute "flight" as they call it, rather a slow ride.
The funny thing is the ride goes so slowly that formn a distance it looks like it isn't moving at all, the sensation on it is quite different. On the bike ride an Italian family said they wanted to go on it but every time they looked from their hotel room they thought it must be broken do

Home about 6pm and it was lovely that James could see were all tired and he shouted us pizza for tea. All sound asleep by 8pm.




Advertisement



17th May 2009

Just Grandma and Me
Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! I saw the bike riders in Paris last time I was there, and they were having the jolliest time!
17th May 2009

sounds great!
The bike tour sounds great, I'll have to look it up!

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb