Windor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Belgravia
November 13th 2013
Published: November 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We spent today exploring the rest of England on a day trip to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath. Although it was a long day, it was very good to see places outside of London. While it was a nice experience, we would have liked more time at the stops. The first stop this morning was Windsor Castle. We had about 2 hours to explore the Castle and were able to see the State Apartments and St George's Chapel (where several kings/queens of England are buried including Henry VIII, King George VI, and the Queen Mother). We also saw the changing of the guard...or rather, the changing of the guard blocked our way to the gift shop/exit. Either way, I would make Windsor my home before any of the other castles we have seen so far on this trip.

From Windsor Castle, we had approximately an hour and 15 minute bus ride to Stonehenge. I had been pre-warned by several people that Stonehenge was not as large or impressive as it looks as in pictures. Even with that knowledge, I was surprised that it is a lot smaller than I had previously believed. Visitors walk in a circular path around Stonehenge, and are not allowed to get very close to the stones. What makes Stonehenge unique is that no one knows why it was built/what purpose it served, and how the builders got the rocks (from up to 200 miles away) to the site.

Our final stop of the day was the town of Bath, which was amazing. It's a very charming town (with about 84,000 full time residents). We were able to tour the Roman baths, and explore the town for about half an hour. I am not sure I would ever want to swim or dip in the baths as the water smelled and looked a little strange. But, I would love to come back to Bath one day and spend the weekend, because the time we had barely scratched the surface. A majority of the buildings are built with a Limestone quarried near the town and called "Bath Stone." So, the buildings are all a creamy white stone and look like something out of a storybook. Posting 14 pictures today - enjoy!

Overall, a great way to spend our last day in England. Tomorrow we depart for a few days in Belgium (did someone say chocolate and waffles?)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bath 3Bath 3
Bath 3

view of the bath from the top level
Bath 4Bath 4
Bath 4

Wishing pool at Roman Baths
Bath 5Bath 5
Bath 5

Steam rising off the water


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb