Taking London By Storm


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Bayswater
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

it was sad leaving dublin, but we were excited to see what else was in store for us. we took an early morning ryanair flight to london stansted and then a train that connected to the london metro (tube) system. we stayed in the hyde park/kensington gardens part of london...very nice, peaceful...nothing like the big city itself. however, we still felt like there was a lot to see right around our hostel.

the first day we found a market and bought bread, cheese, chicken, and fruit to eat and took it to the park. we sat under a tree in the cool shade and ate. it was a nice way to relax after starting our day off so early. we continued the day with a walk through the middle of kensington gardens and along the edge of hyde park. we soon realized that all of us were allergic to one thing or another. london made us sneeze.

the second day we took a double-decker bus tour and saw all of the major attractions: buckingham palace (changing of the guard), westminster abbey, parliament and big ben, st. paul's cathedral, tower bridge, the tower of london, and the new globe theater. we also took a free river cruise that showed us the city from the thames. we were pretty tired, but we had enough strength at the end of the day to manage a pub trip. we got to the pub soon before closing time, and we got to try pimms--an english drink. it was good...but the smoke at the pub was enough to make us want to leave...so we did.

the third day we started the day off with a trip to abbey road for a walk across the famous crosswalk. we took pictures and signed the beatles wall. then we headed down to the buckingham palace area again to find some guards to take pictures with. we found one young, strapping guard to photograph. it was exciting. then, we rode the tube to harrods department store and wandered around in awe for a while. being the big-spenders that we are, a few of us bought some candy and pastries. then we went back to our hostel, did some internet cafe business, ate thai food (of course!), and packed up our stuff. we weren't ready to leave!

then the next day we woke up early and took a eurostar train to our next destination...paris, france! we were really impressed with the city...it was very clean and easy to navigate. the tube was wonderful, and we actually used it a lot. the food was good...only stephie j never found her scone! the people were friendly, and they spoke english...something we wouldn't have for a while. it was good while it lasted...

cheers!

Advertisement



10th June 2007

Hey, Stephie!
It sounds like ya'll are having a lot of fun and seeing some great stuff. I can't wait to see the pictures. I'm really glad ya'll are using this blog. Keep posting! :o)
10th June 2007

Sightseeing Galore! : )
Wow!!! You all have been sightseeing galore! And we are enjoying your blog--"traveling" right along with you! I know it's difficult to find time to update the blog while you are SO-O-O-O busy seeing the world, but once you're back at home, you'll be really glad that you took the time, however inconvenient, to update it so you have documentation of your feelings, as well as your tours--a welcome compliment to your photos and memories. Thanks for letting us share in your fun! Be safe! We love you! : )
11th June 2007

Awesome
Glad you guys are having a great time in Europe!! I'm so jealous!!! The blog is awesome, and it's fun to hear what all you guys have been able to see/do!! :-)

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb