Ashleworth (Glos) Departure


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 27th May 2008

Hi Folks !

As I prepare to leave Ashleworth and head towards the FOD (Forest of Dean) the promised improvement in the weather seems a little optimistic. Last couple of days have been cold, wet and windy and this morning I had to decamp in the rain - which as those of you with experience of such joys will recall is not altogether pleasant.

On the road by 9am and drove west through Glos towards FOD. On the way I diverted to some remote spots on the west bank of the Severn where life seems to have changed little in the past 100 years. Having decided to camp near a village called Goodrich just over the border into Herefordshire I decided to take in the eastern half of the FOD.

Well ….. I hope the western half is more interesting. The eastern part was quite amazing … not sure what I was expecting but certainly was surprised and v disappointed to find a southern version of Ashington / Blyth ….. scruffy industrial towns with people looking as if they belonged in such places. Also heavy traffic with many HGV. Such are the parts of this wonderful country that Blair failed to reach ….. Recommendations - avoid Cinderford, Drybrook, Mitcheldean, Rispidge et al …. Hopefully the view will improve towards the Welsh border.

Arrived at designated camp site to find a small field already occupied by four ‘family tents’ ….. guess what ….. found reverse gear rapidly … v rapidly … Headed back towards the Severn intending to pass through a (hopefully) less industrialised part of the FOD to the Lydney area where I knew of another CS. Anyways …. arrived at road closed / diversion sign ….. which took me well out of my way and back through the aforementioned towns. Happy ? ……..

Arrived at CS near a tiny spot on the map called Hewelsfield some 6-7 miles from Chepstow on the Welsh border. Field twice the size - only two occupants … so here I am. Lovely views across the Severn. Expect to be here for three nights then to escape Glos.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb