Jewish Cemetery Meadowview


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex
July 16th 2012
Published: July 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jewish CemeteryJewish CemeteryJewish Cemetery

Unusual gravestone at Jewish cemetery, Meadowview
The Jewish cemetery in Meadowview was opened as an extension to the original Jewish cemetery that was in Hollingdean Road, on a piece of land given to the Jewish community of Brighton by Thomas Read Kemp in 1825. This continued in use until the beginning of the twentieth century. Perhaps the most notable burial to take place there was that of Henry Solomon, Chief Constable of Brighton, who was murdered in the Police Station by John Lawrence, on 13th March 1844.

The Jewish cemetery extension also known as the Old Hebrew Burial-ground was sold to the Hebrew congregation in 1919. A contemporary of Henry Solomon, who was also buried nearby, is Hyam Lewis. He was elected as a town commissioner in 1822 and was probably the first Jew to take part in local government. He was a pawn broker by trade and carried on business at 31 Ship Street. He died in 1850.

The cemetery also holds the grave of the Philanthropist, Sir John Howard, who founded and endowed homes for retired nurses and governesses in Roedean Road, Brighton.

The site is one and a half acres devoted to Orthodox Jewish graves. The rights of burial to all graves in this cemetery were granted to the Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation when the burial ground became operative.  There is a Prayer Hall nearby. For visitors using a navigation system in their vehicle, the post code for the cemetery is BN2 4DE. A caretaker lives on site to maintain the grounds and keep the buildings associated with the cemetery maintained.

The Old Hebrew burial ground is approached from the North end of Bevendean Road. To the side of this cemetery ajoins the larger Bear Road Cemetery. There are points at which, with a small amount of clambering the two can be crossed between.

Some of the early graves in the Jewish cemetery have black marble urns of interesting designs. However the majority of the tombs are of similar mediocrity and uniformity compared to those in the Christian cemetery adjoining. They are also so closely packed together that the whole cemetery has little repose. The burial ground was extended to the north east in 1978.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb