A Sunday on the South Coast


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
March 15th 2009
Published: March 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The sun was shining, it was the warmest day in a long time, what choice did we have but to go to the seaside? And where else but Brighton? Renowned for its pebble beach, Pier and Pavillion as well as a vibrant pub scene and some fantastic places to eat, its a perfect place to spend a lazy, warm Sunday.

Although Lara had been to Brighton a few weeks ago she didn't get to see anything as she was on an outing with friends and Al hadn't been to Brighton for almost 10 years so it was a perfect excuse to get out in the long awaited sunshine.

We took the train down from London and in just over an hour we were in the heart of Brighton. We wandered through the cute little lanes filled with jewellry shops and cafes and then spent the rest of the morning strolling on the beachside promenade and sitting on the pebbled beach.

We had a lovely lunch in a little cafe before walking around the Brighton Pavillion which was built by Prince George from 1787 as his personal palace where he entertained his guests and many mistresses. Its facade mixes Eastern and European styles, with familiarities to the Taj Mahal and the interior is very extravagant. The dining room's chandalier is held in the claws of an enormous silver dragon. The opulence was incredible!

We spent the remainder of the afternoon sitting on the beach before heading back to London on the afternoon train in amongst 15 thirteen year old girls. It was a loud and trill ending to an otherwise relaxing day out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb