Scotland via Dorset ??


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Weymouth
October 13th 2023
Published: October 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We are back at base, we were due to head straight to Scotland, to include the North Coast 500 - as the name suggest a trip around the coast of the Highlands. First though we need to have some work to alter the Air Suspension that we had fitted, unfortunately this was on the south coast. But every cloud has a silver lining, and we used the available time to head to one of my favourite parts of the country, Dorset.

We based ourselves at East Fleet Farm a superb site overlooking Chesil beach and the calm of the Fleet that runs alongside it. First day, a bus into Weymouth to explore the lovely beach and harbour. I used to come here as a kid and spent a happy holiday here. The front and harbour have hardly changed but the main changes are behind the town. With new industries, out of town shopping centres and colleges.

I was sad to see the council have finally concreted over the railway lines that ran from Weymouth station to the Harbour. Where the trains used to run right up to the Channel Island ferries. Several times I rode on those old trains ready to meet the Jersey ferry.

Next to the Harbour was the pavilion, we saw a poster for Fascinating Aida celebrating their 40 year performing. They were great fun, if very rude, not good if you are easily offended.

Next day we hopped on the bus the opposite way to Abbotsbury. Home of the Abbotsbury swans. These have existed here for hundreds of years initially as food supply for the nearby monastery, nowadays a nature reserve.

Climbing the nearby hill to the St Catherines Chapel it offered amazing views of Chesil beach and the Fleet all the way to Portland. We then followed the South Coast path back to the campsite. With the wonderful weather it was possibly the most enjoyable walk I have ever done.

Time to move on, we drove just an hour down the coast to Lyme Regis. But first a stop in Charmouth for some fossil hunting. Even if you can’t find a massive Dinosaur there are many small fossils to find with just a turnover of a rock. In fact, Dorset council promotes this part of England ‘the Jurassic Coast’.

For early October it is exceedingly warm so much so, we went for a swim.

Although picturesque and charming, (it has been used for film locations) apart from the quirky old aquarium that has been there donkeys years there wasn’t much to do. One person we spoke to said that there are no longer any banks, post offices or even tourist information!!.

At last the time arrives to get the van seen to - then we can get on to Scotland…


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb