The Jurassic Coast


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Lulworth Cove
April 20th 2019
Published: June 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We set off early to make the most out of our daytrip to Dorset. We get down to Durdle Door in good time, arriving at around 9:15am. We actually got down a little earlier than expected as luckily the roads were clear. I've been to Durdle Door many times, but never this early. It is actually worth getting down at this time as there are hardly any people around and given it is an Easter weekend with good weather you know it will get packed here later on.

It is Jovie's first time ever seeing the sea, so whilst we are parked up overlooking the coast I hold her up so she can see the sea, as she probably wont see it when we are walking around with her in the baby carrier.

Durdle Door is one of the Jurassic Coast's most popular landmarks. The walk down to Durdle Door is very steep and offers the most stunning scenes. We continue to walk till we end up taking steps down to a shingle beach, from here we can appreciate the beauty of Durdle Door from a closer view and different angle. I won't write too much about Durdle Door, as previously mentioned about this beautiful place in Surprise Trip.

We are so lucky and blessed with beautiful weather. For Miguel, the weather is still too cold as he's used to winter daytime temperatures of 20c. For us, the weather is perfect, I mean I'd like it to be a bit warmer but when you are walking around lots I find 15c a comfortable temperature. We do the beautiful mile long walk from Durdle Door to Lulworth Cove appreciating the stunning coastline views. We do not spend too long in Lulworth Cove as we notice the area is now starting to get quite crowded, so we check out some tourist shops before walking back again to Durdle Door.

Next we head to Corfe Castle. If you had chance to read Surprise Trip, you'll see I visited here before and mentioned about this small attractive village. The last time we visited Corfe Castle, it was just after Easter and the castle restaurant did these Simnel scones with lemon curd as an Easter special and my goodness it was the best Cream Tea ever. We were excited for the chance to possibly have them again but to our disappointment they had a different Easter special; chocolate and orange scones with marmalade. The scone is good, but no where near as good as the Simnel one they did a couple of years back; Fiona in agreement.

We walk around and let Miguel enjoy the impressive views of the castle ruins before taking him to the village train station which is on the Swanage Railway. This section of the train track known as the Swanage Railway was closed down by the government in 1967 due to not being profitable enough. The section of railway was re-opened again and started to run steam engines from 1980 to keep history alive as steam engines had been replaced by diesel trains. The station very much looks like how it would have done back in 1967 and we enjoy waiting on the bridge that connects the two station platforms as a steam engine arrives.

Next to the station we stop of at the Bankes Arms Hotel. We introduce Miguel to a jug of Pimms. We sit outside in the pub garden and enjoy Pimms in the sunshine keeping an eye out for a steam engine that passes. Pimms is a very popular summer time drink in the UK, as it is quite refreshing; it's a gin liqueur blended with fruits, herbs and spices; it is usually mixed with lemonade and includes chopped strawberries, oranges and mint leaves.

Afterwards, we head to Swanage to find a fish & chip shop, as it's obligatory to eat chips and battered fish by the coast. We enjoy our delicious fish and chips on the promenade until the sea gulls attack us. It's funny to watch Fiona and Miguel run away whilst I cover my food while keeping an eye out for a hungry gull that is looking to take its chances and swoop in to steal my dinner.

As we get back in the car to go home, Miguel wants us to stop off at a nearby beach in Studland Bay as it was the filming location for a Coldplay song called "Yellow".




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



6th July 2022
Jovie's first time seeing the sea

World Traveler
Jovie will be the next world traveler. Get that girl a passport!
11th July 2022
Jovie's first time seeing the sea

Jovie
Most definitely! she has the same love that I have for being outdoors and going on adventures :)
6th July 2022

The Coast
We love trains so enjoyed seeing the train station. Being near the water is always serene. Looks like a great trip. Keep on traveling.

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 38; dbt: 0.152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb