Plymouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Plymouth
June 26th 2015
Published: June 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Duke of Cornwall HotelDuke of Cornwall HotelDuke of Cornwall Hotel

One of the few buildings that survived the bombings.
Today was the first day that we've had rain. It was short lived but we got soaked! Once the cloud passed and the sun came out, the day was beautiful. We spent the day in Plymouth. Plymouth was destroyed (bombed) during the Battle of Britain. Children were abruptly tagged and evacuated. Those children who did not have family to go to were essentially given to strangers in a bidding war. More about this at a later time. Today Plymouth is a large city. It holds the Mayflower memorial (where the Pilgrims sailed from) and an extensive WWII memorial that lists thousands upon thousands of names. We did a great deal of walking around the city and had a nice lunch in yet another pub. It's a running joke that John has wholeheartedly embraced the culture. He hasn't tried an English dish or beer that has not been to his liking. We've also made an afternoon tea and scone person out of him. A proper English scone with Devon clotted cream and jam is a true delicacy!!

The food here is prepared with great care and only local, organic food items are used when possible. I have never before seen such robust, colorful and healthy looking vegetation! The eggs are amazing! The yolks are airy, light, and moist -unlike any farm eggs I've ever had at home. The egg whites are thick and light. Eggs are never refrigerated in the stores.

The weather reminds me of a Vermont or White Mountain summer.

Tonight we are staying in and starting to pack for our journey to London on Sunday. We have hired Martin, our driver from earlier in the week, to take us to London. I hear he is anxiously awaiting to hear how our story unfolded this week.

John took hundreds of photos on his camera, which I can't upload at the moment. I only have a few benign photos from today because it was so damp that I really didn't have my phone handy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb