Working at Ceridwen


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Holsworthy
April 16th 2013
Published: May 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Broadbeans in outside bedBroadbeans in outside bedBroadbeans in outside bed

We had to weed around these which was quite tenuous work. There was lots of hairy bitter cress as usual and chamomile have sprouted everywhere. Unfortunately the chamomile wasn't for keeping so we had to put it in the compost. It was a lovely sunny day when we did this, Ravi. Annette and Juanjo, chatted and exchanged stories.
The work here has been varied. On the first week, we cut down and pulled out dead raspberry bushes to clear the way for some grape vines Rob intends to grow in the future. This was hard work as the areas were about 60 ft. long and 4 foot wide and we cleared both sides one side of each polytunnels. It was pretty back breaking as some of the grass roots were deep and went on for metres. We also recovered a few ash trees from the area which we later planted in the new woodland area, which was previously used for the sheep.

We also did some weeding in the polytunnels, digging up weeds such as chickweed, thistles, long grasses and dandelions (dandelion is a good medicinal plant so not really a weed in that sense) and the chickweed the chickens adore, hence the name.

Rob taught us a bit about soil and the difference between living compost and some of the more dead compost you can buy in the shops. Following this we got some live compost, made by Rob and spread in on a bed in the polytunnel for sowing seeds in later on.

Rob
OnionsOnionsOnions

Ooo we love the smell of onions. AP weeded around these beauties as RM was forbidden, he kept squashing the poor things.
got called out during the first week as their goat that they share with another couple was with kid and in labour. The other couple run a veg box scheme so he did the delivering while they tended to the goat. The goat gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl.

We were introduced to picking crops for the market that Rob goes to every Friday, RM picked chard whilst AP picked spinach. This activity really brings you back to the basics, we think often people take for granted where their food comes from, organic or not. It still has to be grown and harvested and we just go in a supermarket and buy it without, we think with a second though of its lifecycle. We find the harvesting relaxing and are filled with appreciation for the Earth and all its fertility.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Great workGreat work
Great work

two beds which were previously covered in weeds! We dug it all up using forks, spades, anything we could get our hands on! The couch grass is a real pain!
RM and JuanjoRM and Juanjo
RM and Juanjo

Lovely day for being on a farm.
RM and JuanjoRM and Juanjo
RM and Juanjo

AP's having a rest, where is she??
Another job well doneAnother job well done
Another job well done

Look at that!!!!
Part of the woodlandPart of the woodland
Part of the woodland

The air is sooo fresh here! Thank you trees for converting CO2 into O2, blessit be the tree.
The AshThe Ash
The Ash

Planted Ash trees. Last year the Ash tree was under threat by a disease and many were thrown on the fire, sad days. So we need to bring them back!
Ash tree plantingAsh tree planting
Ash tree planting

RM's Ash - can you spot it?
Ash tree plantingAsh tree planting
Ash tree planting

AP's Ash - can you spot it?
PolytunnelPolytunnel
Polytunnel

We loved working in these, especially on cold days as it gets warm in there.
We love this stuffWe love this stuff
We love this stuff

Chard a lard!!
PathwayPathway
Pathway

It may not look that interesting but along the fence used to be all covered in weeds! Guess what?? We dug it all up and piled it with mulch so the little and big buggars would find it more difficult to get through. We also had to battle and avoid the rose bushes with its thorns! This was a team effort, great day.
PolytunnelPolytunnel
Polytunnel

We cleared this middle bed for the herb bed which is in a previous post.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb