Exeter: 2000 years of trading


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Exeter
January 27th 2008
Published: January 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Exeter CathedralExeter CathedralExeter Cathedral

Exeter Cathedral, dedicated to Saint Peter, was built mainly in the 13th century. It is estimated that half a million people were buried in the church yard through the centuries.
The agricultural shire of Devon in South-West England has a long tradition of international trading with the manufacture of wool and other clothing related industries. Exeter, Devon's capital city, was started by the Romans but they didn't stay there for long. However, they did build a wall around their fort, a wall partly preserved to the present time.

By the start of the 16th Century, Exeter became one of the major cities in England. Wool was traded and exported out of the country and prosperous Exeter became home for many rich merchants. Therefore, Exeter has many great buildings from the Tudor and Stuart periods. During the industrial revolution Exeter, lacking natural ressources, lost importance and wealth.

During the beginning of WW2, Exeter became the target for bombing and big areas of the historic city were hit and distroyed. After the war, these parts were rebuilt but without consideration for the city's atmosphere and remaining historic buildings. Today, Exeter is parted into areas - some with many old buildings, others with buildings from the 1950s, the newly finished shopping centre Princesshay etc., all in the heart of Exeter.

Exeter has a rustic charm and beauty caused by the fact
Mol's Coffee HouseMol's Coffee HouseMol's Coffee House

Mol's Coffee house is situated in the Cathedral Court and was built in Tudor style in the 16th century although altered over the times. Next to it is Saint Martin's Church, a medieval parish church.
you can still see the different times and conditions over the citys centuries of history. It doesn't have Stratford-upon-Avon's or Windsor's "perfect touch" but it does tell the history about good and bad times - and about real life for people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Medieval Exe BridgeThe Medieval Exe Bridge
The Medieval Exe Bridge

Originally constructed with houses and a brigde church, only a small part has survived. During the medieval period the River Exe was much wider and the brigde is now standing on land.
Gatehouse to Rougemont CastleGatehouse to Rougemont Castle
Gatehouse to Rougemont Castle

Rougemount Castle was partly built into Exeter's Roman Walls, now only ruins remain of the original buildings. The castle was built by William the Conqueror in 1068.
Parliament StreetParliament Street
Parliament Street

Parliament Street, dating back to the 15th Century, is a curiosity in Exeter. It is one of the narrowest streets in the world, once claimed to the narrowest in Guiness Book of Records.
Little Castle StreetLittle Castle Street
Little Castle Street

A cobbled street in Exeter, surrounded by night clubs, inputs from newer times... Exeter University has 14,000 students and lots of nightlife.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb