Peveril Castle to Mam Tor and Hollins Cross


Advertisement
Published: October 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Another decent walk today - I actually merged two walks from Castleton together (to make FrankenWalk!)

Our trip was almost sabotaged by a collapsed dry stone wall partially blocking the track, but we cleared the stones out of the way then called our landlord to see if they could contact the farmer to make sure the cattle in the field didn't escape through the broken wall.

We set off from Castleton heading up Cave Dale passing Peveril Castle. The rain the previous days made a strwam running down Cave Dale so we had to watch where we put our feet! From the top of Cave Dale we headed across some pastures then north along a farm track to Windy Knoll.

From here we did the steep climb up Mam Tor then followed the ridge north-east. We ate lunch just below the summit then carried on and climbed the iconic Hollins Cross - an obvioys feature from many of our ventures the previuos few days. From Hollins Cross we carried on along the ridge of Barker Bank and up Lose Hill (aka Ward's Piece). We came down the hill on the south side and followed several footpaths across farmland back to Castleton. Some of them rather muddy! (luckily we had dry, clean clothes in the car!)

Back in Castleton we had hot chocolate and cake then Mark went to the post office whilst I went to potter around some shops before heading back to the cottage for another cosy night in front of the fire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



8th August 2021

Yay for Frankenwalk!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb