Derbyshire


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Derby
January 15th 2016
Published: January 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Derbyshire


Roy and Carol HamptonRoy and Carol HamptonRoy and Carol Hampton

Hangin with the lads
We arrived in Derby around 4:00pm and quickly checked in to our apartment and then set the GPS to take us Roy Hampton's home in Beeston, Nottinghamshire. Roy and his wife Carol had kindly invited us for dinner. Roy is my Grandmother's nephew. And what a dinner it was ! Three courses, four if you wanted cheese and biscuits. We were looking forward to a home cooked meal but we were well and truly stuffed. Roy showed me some old photos and he caught up on the news from our family in Australia. It was a lovely evening, and left at around 11:00pm. We were very well looked after.

The next day, we walked into the city centre of Derby to have breakfast. It's an old town with quaint architecture and arcades. The Derby Cathederal can be seen from our apartment and it rings its bells on the hour, quarter of the hour and half an hour.

After lunch, we went to visit my Great Aunt Violet who is 98 and lives in Ilkeston which about 20 mins from Derby. It was lovely to see her again and for her to meet the boys. Although she cannot see very well, she seemed to enjoy our visit.

We then ventured off to a shopping outlet in The Midlands, as the boys were still looking for boots. These outlets just seem to get bigger each one we visit. More £'s were spent.

Day two saw us visit Sherwood Forest. It was very cold and it was a bracing 20 min walk around the forest. You could imagine Robin Hood prancing around in his tights between the trees. We even saw a squirrel and a woodpecker !

We then stopped in Nottingham City for lunch and for a look around. We really liked the buildings and the layout of the city. We walked passed Nottingham Castle but unfortunately it was closed to visitors. Again more shops than you can poke a stick at.

We went down into the caves which are underneath Nottingham. They are man made and date back to the 11th century. Some were used as air raid shelters. That was an interesting 40 mins spent underground.

By now it was dark and time to go home but we had left it too late as we hit our first peak hour traffic jam.

The
DerbyDerbyDerby

Cathederal Road
following day, we checked out and we were advised by the lady at reception that if we drive through the Peak District, we might see snow. We did take that route and it was a very scenic drive. We passed something that looked white by the side of the road but we didn't stop and can't say if it was or not. We stopped in a cute little town called Buxton. They have Roman Baths also and is just as picturesque as Bath.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Great Aunt VioletGreat Aunt Violet
Great Aunt Violet

With her Great Great Nephews
Sherwood ForestSherwood Forest
Sherwood Forest

Robin Hood
Sherwood ForestSherwood Forest
Sherwood Forest

A brisk walk !
NottinghamNottingham
Nottingham

Can we get lunch ?
Nottingham Nottingham
Nottingham

Exploring the Caves
The Peak District The Peak District
The Peak District

Looking for snow !
The Peak DistrictThe Peak District
The Peak District

Beautiful Buxton


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb