Here and there.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Windermere
August 29th 2017
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up early for a walk. From our barn conversion BnB (that's code for 'watch your head as you walk around) my walk was about 20 minutes away, so that's fine. Without breakfast, quite unusual for a B'nB but.. I booted up and headed off. The walk takes me around 2 of the lakes in the Lake District, although I know that technically there's only a single lake in the Lake District, the others being waters, seas and the like. I walked around Rydal and Grasmere whatevers. with a couple of deviations to gain some elevation for the views the total distance was pretty close to 10 miles. That distance is good and it meant I could walk it and return and still find Lee in bed. So it's breakfast time really but obviously not at our B'nB. Admittedly though it was a late breakfast. The photos really tell the story of the walk. The terrain and conditions remind me very much of the Coast to Coast which is no surprise as the path passes through places very close to here. England's highest point (it's not even called a hill let alone a mountain!) is almost always visible and the ridge lines, fells and lakes bring back lots of memories. The 'babbling brooks' and 'whispering waters' that flow into the lakes do exactly the same and make for a pleasant walk (the TMB really is ancient history!). The blackberries are ripening and although they aren't huge they are tasty and quite sweet and have become a firmer favourite, although I'm still a big heather fan. Travelling in Scotland should see me very happy!

We visited the Beatrix Potter Exhibition and were very impressed with the exhibits. A good mix of computer stuff and static displays that were quite well done. It was busy, everything within any proximity to Windermere is, but it was good.

We return to the pub with heaps of own brews (that's the pub has own brews not us taking our own brews! ) tonight not in an effort to sample each one but to have a 'Collie Wobbles' ale pie and a beer or two. 'Collie Wobbles' is another of their canine themed brews and the thought of a good ale pie certainly appeals. Last night I had the 'Ruff Night' brew and there were plenty of doggie others.

I plan to go to Castlerigg tomorrow which should be really interesting. It's a very old stone circle, older than most in the UK and much more accessible than Stonehenge. We then head over to Twice Brewed, one of my favourite pubs and a place really quite close to an excellent section of Hadrian's Wall. Two very good reasons to visit.

Tell you what it's like tomorrow.

Rob.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb