Higher ... and Highest


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
July 31st 2012
Published: July 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

A strange thing was seen in the sky this morning. Sun. And blue sky.

I set off along Pike Rigg, where the path was still wet with the recent rains and headed for Sour Milk Gill.

Normally, I'd continue along the lake path to Mellbreak, but this time, I began the long and slow ascent up the stone steps towards Bleaberry Tarn. In the hot sun, it was hard going and before long I was smelling like a badger after a night on the town!

Bleaberry was cool by comparison and every time the sun disappeared behind a cloud, the temperature fell.

However, as the temperature fell, so it was necessary to rise and begin the ascent up Red Pike. The climb to The Saddle was relatively easy, but going beyond was getting interesting. The path has been eroded of late and it was a definite hands and feet job to get to the summit.

And so, with red hands, I made it to the summit and strangely, out of the wind. The sun shone as if to join in with the celebration of reaching the top.

Having taken a few photographs, I descended on to the ridge and carefully began the climb up to High Stile ... and lunch, finding shelter from the cold southerly wind.

Then it was the turn of the second ridge, although the weather was beginning to turn and the sun disappeared behind black clouds. However, on arrival at High Crag, most of the cloud had gone, though the temperature had clearly dropped.

Finally, I ran down High Crag, stopping at the tarn on Seat for a quick drink. before dropping to Scarth Gap and the long slog down to Peggy's Bridge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

High CragHigh Crag
High Crag

Doesn't look high, but I ran from the top!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb