In the Lake District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Keswick
September 19th 2016
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.5995, -3.13256

First , a story to tell. We stopped at a Shell station to use the restroom and decided to fill the suv with diesel. As I was leaving to go get in the suv I saw a man about 50 years old coming out of the station. He had short cropped hair, about a 2 day growth of beard, a nice pair of earrings and a black and white polka dotted dress with black tights on. I did a double take. He walked to his car and left. I looked inside and no one at the station seemed to care at all. Interesting! We finally arrived in Wigan. We checked into our hotel and they printed out a map to get to the cemetery. I found a curator and he looked up where my great grandparents were buried. They were actually in a cemetery next door. We drove over there and found the headstone for Richard and Alice Bolderson. These are my great grandparents on my moms side. We then looked for Enoch and Ellen Jones. We could not find a site for them. We went back to the curator, but he was gone for the day. We went back to our hotel and had dinner. We got up the this morning and headed back out to the cemetery. We found the curator and with a little computer help and a phone call, he marked on a map where their grave should be. We looked and looked. The website says that not all graves have a stone on them. We could find the stones near them, but there was a bunch of empty space where theirs should have been. To bad. We took some photos of the area and got back in the suv. We also tried to find the addresses where they were living when they were born, but the addresses don't exist anymore. We left Wigan and headed toward the Lake District. We are staying in Keswick, in the north, for 5 days. It is in the Cumbrian mountains. It is very beautiful here. The weather has been nice for the last couple of days, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, we are taking a boat ride on the lake near Keswick and checking out the town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



19th September 2016

Whose stone is it?
19th September 2016

Wouldn't these be your great-great grandparents? The ones I sent you pictures of. Your great-grandparents are buried in Detroit.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb