Day 5


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Carlisle
September 5th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wow! What a day. We have really seen some of the country today and had a real treat along the way .... but some of the hills would not be out of place on Le Tour.

The day started well and we made good head way around Manchester and up Northwards to Blackburn. We passed Ewood Park and then started our climb up into the Forest of Bowland. The road up from Clitheroe to the first peak was steep and long, but the second climb up to the Trough of Bowland was by far the longest and hardest we've experienced on the journey so far. It seemed to go on for miles and miles and took every bit of our strength and sweat. On the plus side - the weather was OK and the views spectacular.

We had arranged to meet our friend Jane (who lives just outside Lancaster) at 2.30 pm, but having misjudged how difficult the Bowlland climbs were, we finally reached her at 4pm. We were very tired and hungry ...... but when we saw her our spirits lifted. She had set up a fabulous picnic right on top of the moor. She had cooked us split barley soup, Lancashire Hot pot, fruit crumble, local cheese, tea and chocolate all delivered from the back of her car. What a welcome and what a feast! Thanks Jane.

We then had another 30 odd miles to ride, with more great views around the Lune Valley, but also more killer hills...... and the sun was beginning to set. All would have been reasonably fine if we hadn't eaten too much, had a spoke break and a puncture and then, once dark, Jim's chain snapped! Rob managed a running repair and we managed to hobble under the M62 and into Shap (Cumbria) at 9.15pm after 12 hours on the road.

Fortunately, Jane was there to meet us again, this time outside the Greyhound with pints of invigortaing local bitter.

A day of highs and a few lows. If we were going to give up, today would have been the day.

Mileage - someting around 120
Body - feel someting like 120

xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Forest of BowlandForest of Bowland
Forest of Bowland

Each downhill has a corresponding up..


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb