Heading South


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Carlisle
April 28th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

April 28, 2012 – Heading South

Today we are on the road, heading south to Dover. We stayed in Carlisle last night, which was situated at the top end of the Lakes District. Pretty countryside, but Carlisle itself was fairly ordinary. It had the obligatory castle and cathedral, and a reasonably nice shopping district – we had a look through the cathedral, which housed a very impressive collection of silver church artifacts and some Roman artifacts, as well as the most beautiful pipe organ I've ever seen. The cathedral architecture was impressive.

That said, we were out of Carlisle fairly early this morning – the trip to Dover is fairly long (by UK standards) so we wanted to ensure that we have some time to look around Dover before heading to Margate tomorrow to meet my cousin Susan Marsh and her family. We are so looking forward to this visit – Susan is showing us around Margate tomorrow, then around Canterbury on Monday.

Tuesday we are heading across to Stonehenge, with the aim of booking into a nice BnB for the rest of the week and doing some daytrips around the southern end of the country, plus a day in London. We will be taking the train into London, rather than driving, and we have a “hop on hop off” bus tour booked which will ensure we see all the big-ticket sights of London. Such fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb