Last Lazy Lake Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ambleside
April 9th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tarn HowsTarn HowsTarn Hows

I didn't take this photo, but couldn't resist - it is such a lovely shot!
Geo: 54.3568, -3.03676

Another wonderfully slow day (well, slow for us!) in the Lake District - we have all needed this break from helter skelter tourism, and it's been great to rest in this beautiful part of the world.

We got up very slowly, to another misty but fine day. Off to Tarn Hows, described as one of the most beautiful spots in the Lakes - I don't know that I would rate it that highly (for me, the drama of the high peaks with the fertile green valleys nestled at the bottom is the true beauty), but it was a lovely place to walk withe the kids - 1.5 miles of undulating paths around a lake (man-made to the extent that it was created from 3 little lakes and a peat bog in the 18th century). Again, we didn't see any wildlife (could be a natural consequence of walking with 3 noisy kids, especially two little boys who are trying hard to "catch" sheep) but did see some funny looking cows - Belted Galloways, which are white with a black belt around their tummies. The land was once owned by Beatrix Potter, and is part of the large amount of land given by her to the National Trust on her death. (Tip for any of our friends & family coming to the UK - join the Aussie National Trust, as it is relatively cheap, and gets you reciprocal entry into historic homes and parks all across England).

Georgia and I tried to ask the National Trust fellow what type of trees are "the trees that look like pine trees but are deciduous", he explained the 18 types of spruce and fir around the lake, then told us that they are evergreens. So we still don't know what we were looking at, but we understand that there is a whole lot of variety that was lost on us!

From Tarn How, we drove to the Kirkstone Pass, up the Struggles from Ambleside. (Also drove past the B&B where Steven and I stayed 15 years ago - I was surprised that we found it, and recognised it from the road (quite near the Tarns). The Kirkstone Pass was a very steep road, but somewhat wider than the Hardknott or Wrynose Passes (and some of the lanes that we have been driving on are ridiculously narrow as well). At the top of the Pass, there were patches of snow visible in the fields around us, but it was cold (4 degrees) and I think that I want the kids to see "proper" snow for the first time, not just some dirty pile of leftover ice in a sheep paddock! I keep promising snow in Switzerland, so I am praying that I can deliver! (Sophie has seen lots of snow in Switzerland, so I'm hoping that it lasts a fortnight. Steven spoke to Zia Teresa tonight, who said it is 20 degrees there during the day, so warmer days ahead!)

Lunch at the Kirkstone Inn - a 500 year (plus) inn with loads of character, low beams and a roaring fire - what more could you want? Oh, and they did all the standards - Cumberland sausage, Steak & Ale pie and fish & chips - all the features of our staple diet! We did a scenic drive over the Pass, down to Troutbeck village (where we had been to the Browne's 500 year old farmhouse the day before) then came home for a rest.

We wandered down to the Roman fort at Ambleside, walking along the river Brathay. There is not a lot to see, but it was a great place for the kids to run wild (loved watching the boys pretend to be Silverback Gorillas & Tarzan in a 2000 year old Roman fort!) then Steven and the kids walked to the Waterside Inn for dinner whilst I got the car. The Inn was severly affected by the flooding here last November, with water coming halfway up the lower storey, and has only just opened again. It had lovely gardens, with swans floating serenely on the Windemere Lake and a hot air balloon drifting over the lake and Wray Castle - very picturesque for our last night at the Lakes.

Abig drive ahead of us tomorrow - we are off back to London (5 hours) to stay with Kelly and Davina Tinkler for a couple of nights, then off to Paris for 4 days and Brussels to see Miranda Cole & Jonathon. We won't have internet access until Brussels, so my regular postings will be curtailed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



9th April 2010

Steven - what happened to the beard...yes we noticed, thought that you were getting ready for the Italian leg of the trip!!!happy travels to all,
11th April 2010

Loving the blog!! Photo's fantastic, it's like we are there with you!! Yes, Steven much better without the beard!! Enjoy what's ahead, can't wait to hear! 1 day left of our holiday - off to Wet'n'Wild or Movie World - just doesn't compar
e!
12th April 2010

That first picture of Tarn Hows absolutely blew me away! I've been thoroughly enjoying your posts over the break. Look out for a class email soon. I'm going to try to show them a few bits and pieces of the blog and photos on our new inte
ractive whiteboard this week.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb