Easter Sunday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ambleside
April 4th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.3568, -3.03676

We woke to find that the Easter Bunny had visited during the night (and, indeed, had crossed paths with the tooth fairy for Georgia, who has worked out that 3 pound is pretty good going for a tooth - she has lost 2 in a week!). Matthew was most surprised - he thought that the 3 eggs he got at Hillsdon would be the sum total of eggs for him this year!

After breakfast and phone calls home for Easter, we set off towards the village and to church. We had looked up the time of the Catholic mass, but were not sure where it was. As we got to the village, we asked directions to the Catholic church, but were sent (by accident) to the Methodist & Anglican ecumenical service. It was just about to start, and as we would, by now, be late for the Catholic mass, we figured that this was obviously where God wanted us to be this morning! I tell you, it was so similar to our Mass - the kids are even more confused about the differences between the different religions now! Major difference was that the Host was a loaf of supermarket bread, and the minister rolled out a little ball from the centre and gave it to us as communion! The old church of St Mary's is being renovated, and they have built a lovely parish centre to say mass in, in the meantime - the view to the hills was very uplifting! One lovely old lady told us that it was nice to walk outside without that slushy stuff - there was snow here earlier in the week.

We then spent the morning wandering around the village of Ambleside, which was lovely, and absolutely full of outdoor clothing shops - we grabbed another little jacket for Matthew, so that now we all have a proper waterproof jacket. We also saw the tiniest house - the 5 of us barely fitted inside it, but apparently one family of six lived here at one time. It was built over the river, so that no land tax needed to be paid.

Home for one of our favourite afternoon activities - an afternoon sleep! The kids really needed it (OK, so the adults thought it was a great idea too!) Then we had a casserole that I'd made for dinner, and off to bed for an early night.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb