A wee visit to Beatrix Potter's home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ambleside
July 11th 2012
Published: July 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We packed our bags, and headed down the road to start our next adventure. Our first stop was Lakeland for a quick shop and a fish breakfast Yum!!!

After driving through yet another English scattered shower we stoped off in a lake side village by the name of Windermere. The Clouds broke to our delight as we started off on our walk. Windermere is a wonderful little village built on the side of a typical English hill over looking a large lake. There are hourly boat cruises to take many travellers around the lake, we chose to stay on land and fight off extremely large well fed Swans and Canadian Geese. We spent a wonderful afternoon in and out of little shops, till we stumbled upon St. Martian’s Church in the Village Centre. It was originally constructed in 1203, it burnt to the ground in 1480 and reconstructed in 1483 on top of the original floor, over the years there has been some improvements but it is still pretty much the same.

After our stroll through the church we headed for a drive around the lake to Beatrix Potters home town of Ambleside. It’s a beautiful town built of local slate and expert craftsmanship. We had a lovely walk along a small river which was used to power various mills along the river. On our stroll down the river we stumbled upon a wonderful little café called The Glass House. It was converted from a working mill where you could still see all the belts, cogs and wooden wheels among the centuries old timber frame .

After enjoying a wonderful cup of English tea, we left Ambleside and drove to the train station, while waiting for our train we said goodbye to Gran and Stuart after a wonderful 3 days. We enjoyed the 2 hour train ride back to Glasgow where we met Alex and Chris and they drove us in the rain to their house in Dunblane for a well deserved rest.



Shane and Karla


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

cool doorwaycool doorway
cool doorway

i am as big as a door


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb