North Hill to Mousehole


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
October 3rd 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Oh, the sad task of packing up when your really don't want to leave. Even the elements didn't want us to go - it poured - more sleet. As usual though, there's the anticipation of heading off to places unknown.

When we were talking to Lynne, who runs the B&B where we stayed in St Cadou in Brittany, she mentioned that her husband ran Prima Bakeries in Cornwall. As our route took us past the bakery right on lunchtime we thought it a good opportunity to call in. We met their lovely daughter who sold us two of, to quote Lynne, 'the best pasties in Cornwall' and in retrospect - yes, we confess we're actually writing this on the plane home!- we agree (well we haven't tried every pastie in Cornwall!). After a bit of searching for somewhere to eat them we found ourselves in the carpark at Portreath! As it has an amazing view over the beach we paid our pound and had a lovely view while we ate our delicious pasties (and cakes of course!).

Mousehole is a small fishing village just south of Penzance. Our B&B is in one of its very narrow streets. While there's
Portreath, CornwallPortreath, CornwallPortreath, Cornwall

A top lunch spot!
not a lot of traffic, we still had to be careful stepping out our front door.

After a bit of a look around, we discovered the pleasures of Haddock at the local fish and chippery!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mousehole, CornwallMousehole, Cornwall
Mousehole, Cornwall

Note the Stargazy Pie on the wall in front of the Ship Inn. This sign is illuminated on Tom Bawcock's Eve to celebrate the Mousehole legend of the 16th century fisherman who saved the village from starvation by putting out to sea in a dreadfall storm. On his safe return his entire catch was baked into a huge pie and shared by all the villagers.
Gone Fishing Cottage, MouseholeGone Fishing Cottage, Mousehole
Gone Fishing Cottage, Mousehole

We just loved our bed in the cupboard! (It's actually called a cabin bed)


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb