Easter in Devon/Cornwall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Truro
April 4th 2010
Published: May 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Some would say "I told you so" but Lawrence and I like to live on the edge; we decided on camping in the West Country despite a forecasts of heavy storms. In hindsight, weather forecasts are there for a reason - to warn us in good time of the forthcoming onslaught of rain, hail, winds and natural disasters.

Change the plans? Er, no, we were feeling optimistic! I think you know what happened next...

The upside is that we survived the ensuing 24 hour downpour: up at 5am to ensure a timely arrival at HFW's 'River Cottage' for a hearty breakie mid way, we avoided the waves crashing up over the cliffs at Portland during the journey down and safely dodged the chickpea sized hail stones. We are survivers, veterans of storms; and we now share a special bond with the few brave souls we encountered at the Hole Station campsite. I can only imagine how this gorgeous eco campsite would be in full sunshine rather than in a monsoon. Goodness knows how we got it started but Lawrence should receive a gold medal for perserverance; he made a crackling fire even Ray would have been proud of. The fire gave us some hope and Lib and the marshmellows seemed to enjoy the heat!

With the dawn of Easter Saturday, we cut short the heavenly camping, shelving it for a warmer time...and made our way to the glorious shores of Cornwall to be welcomed by Lawrence's parents with open arms and a warm fire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb