Day 05 A day at the seaside


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Padstow
May 27th 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Penzance to head east back towards the centre of England. We went up the main A30 and then went north to Padstow, a wonderful fishing village on the northern coast of Cornwall.

Our plan here was to have a meal or fish in chips in one of Rick Stein’s restaurants or cafe. We really had no preference and on a whim decided to try The Seafood Restaurant. As this establishment is very popular, we didn’t expect to get a seat but on this day we were very lucky. We turned up on a day that was maybe a bit slower and were able to get a table for lunch, no problems at all.

We had a choice of a la carte or they have a 3 course lunch menu which is only £35.00 per head. As we were only in Padstow for lunch we decided to pick out a few items from the a la carte menu. After a lot of deliberation over the huge range of menu items, Peter chose Singapore Chilli Crab and Gina ordered two entrees, soft shell crab and scallops.

The food was absolutely amazing and with a bottle of wine the total cost only came to £71.50, exceptional value for a superb meal and location overlooking the harbour.

After dinner we went for a stroll around the harbour admiring the sites around the bay and the harbour. This is a very pretty town and is set on a steep hill leading up from the harbour. It has narrow streets that would be expected in such an old seaside town.

After we left Padstow we carried along the northern coast of Cornwall and headed toward Tintangel. We were hoping to see Tintangel Castle, the legendary home of King Arthur, but it cannot be seen from the town or the coastal roads nearby. Time was critical and we headed off back on our route towards Manchester, our destination for Friday.

We then travelled for about another three hours, mainly on the motorway, and eventually stopped for the night at a motorway service area hotel at Michael Wood, about halfway between Bristol and Gloucester.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th June 2010
05 View across to sea

Paradise
We are lucky enough to wake up to this view every day; who could ask for more?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb