Cornwall Road Trip - Part II


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Newquay
October 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pentire Point East - NewquayPentire Point East - NewquayPentire Point East - Newquay

Grant likes to live life on the edge!
We arrived at Newquay about 1pm and drove out to Pentire Point East, where we went for a walk along the peninsula.
The rugged rocks were making a white swirling mess of the clean waves coming in to shore. A some what similar notion appeared to be happening between the wind and my hair.

We drove into the town centre for a walk around, and saw a sign for a backpackers on the other side of the bay. We walked over to Belushi’s and booked ourselves into their accommodation, “St Christopher’s backpackers”. We scored a bunk room to ourselves with own adjoining bathroom, and a large window that over looked the length of Newquay Bay.

We sat outside on the picnic tables and had lunch at the pub looking down upon the bay from our cliff-top view, while we waited (and waited) for our food to arrive.

We decided to go for a bit of a drive around the country side, and as no-one could decide on where we should go, we just jumped in the car. We gave the GIS a rest, and at each intersection we had turns at choosing either: left, right, straight or turn
Newquay BayNewquay BayNewquay Bay

The view from our window :)
around.

We ended up going through all sorts of random little old villages and settlements, each with their own little stone church, and down country lanes with similar hedgrows from when we arrived.

We finally came to a little beach near Padstow where the boys practiced their rock skimming skills.

We drove around to Trevose and had a quick look at the rugged beach and little blow hole type rocks before driving back to Newquay.

We dumped the rest of our stuff in our room then had a drink at the bar complements of Grant.
While I was in the bathroom, Brendan stuck a bottle of mustard in my handbag from the bar, as a bit of a hang-over gag from our Gisborne trip back in April.
So while everyone else was waiting outside, I hid it in the bottom of his bag - not to be found for a good few days - he should know better than to take me on :P

We went for a walk around the town and got some stuff from the offy and then headed back to our room and played ‘cup of death’, not without the usual
Bath - River AvonBath - River AvonBath - River Avon

Matt, Grant, Hannah, Brendan
squabbles about who’s rules are right - its almost as bad as playing monopoly!

Brendan and Helen retired to their beds shortly after. Grant and I went to check out the live band that was playing in the bar Silvermaker. Plug: www.myspace.com/silvermaker

Rock STAR! livin’ it LARGE! (guess you had to be there huh?)

We dragged Matt out a while later. Oh, and by band, I mean a chick singer and the drummer (who in this case was on guitar), were playing - they were still pretty good considering we were almost at the edge of one of the far flung corners of the earth.

We had to stay up to 1.30am so we could move our car out of the Pay and Display carpark and into the backpackers carpark once the bouncer had left. The three of us went for a bit of a walk and sat outside talking in the brisk night air for a bit until the bouncer finally moved, managing to get to bed at about 2am ready for another day of driving.


I woke up at 8am on Sunday to Brendan’s alarm that when for its full cycle, twice, but still didn’t wake him up. So I got up and turned it off. I also open the window, because the heater in the bathroom had been on all night and was making the room far to hot, and then went back to bed.

We got up about 9am, had a shower and tested the breakfast that was included as part of our room. We packed up of stuff and had to be out of our room by 10am. Not that I have actually heard of anyone charging an extra night if you were those few vital seconds late.

We drove to ‘Fowey’ on the south coast and had some morning tea/lunch. The others had Cornwall Cornish pasties, while I hung out with my sausage roll and chocolate slice.

We had a quick look around the village then continued driving to Bath.
We got some food from the supermarket just before it closed and had a look around the town. Unfortunately, we didn’t have much time, as Matt needed to get back to London.

We had a walk down to Parade Gardens and looked at the River, with the very old Pulteney Bridge (1774) crossing the
PadstowPadstowPadstow

Matt and Brendan practice their rock skimming
River Avon. We saw the Bath Abby, built between 1499 and 1616, and walked around the outside of the Roman Baths (jumping to peer in where we could). By this stage it was time to hit to road again.

We dropped Matt home and went to Helen’s to drop her and Grant off. We gave Beth the speedy highlights of our trip before being dropped back to my place and retiring to bed (not before feeding my face of course).



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cornish Pasties in CornwallCornish Pasties in Cornwall
Cornish Pasties in Cornwall

Helen, Grant, Matt, Brendan


12th November 2006

Deeply Poetic
"The rugged rocks were making a white swirling mess of the clean waves coming in to shore. A some what similar notion appeared to be happening between the wind and my hair." Time to cut it short and spiky and dye it purple.
16th November 2006

... yes, well I was thinking of getting a hair cut but maybe i might go with something a little more...... traditional!
15th July 2009

you must've enjoyed the trip! nice view from your window!

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb