Back to Newquay (but wearing my ‘Cats’ t-shirt).


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Newquay
September 3rd 2022
Published: September 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Back in Newquay.
Unusual style accommodation here, quite hostel in the feel. Certainly not the Savouy but fine. They changed the towels and tidied up which wasn’t really necessary but still appreciated. Breakfast was fine with some cooked options but plenty of fruit, cereal and yogurt and even toast and crumpets that you can cook yourself so you get them exactly how you like them and when you want them. Novel idea!
Walked to the tidal bridge today, fully expecting it to be underwater. It was. Who designed a bridge to be impassable at high tide and even impassable a couple of hours either side of high tide? We couldn’t even see it. That means a short walk to the ferry as the only other reasonable alternative. The unreasonable alternative is almost 4 miles of road walking! You pay the ferryman he takes you (and his dog) across the Gannel River.

Then back to coastal walking. Dunes, some hills, along the cliff tops, through the shrubs, along the beaches and occasionally into small hamlets for coffee (mistake) or tea today because conditions are pretty miserable. The wind and rain have struck, they had to eventually. Consequently icy-poles are temporarily off the menu. The scenery remains quite spectacular although the military training range had our eyes peeled for different reasons. The guide book details a signal man that must be obeyed and that no shortcuts are to be taken. Fortunately the war was on hold today so we passed without incident.

Julie walked with a broadcast of the footy so with every Collingwood goal I thought she had fallen and broken her leg and with every Geelong goal I thought she’d grown another leg so the final score came as a double relief.

We battled into a strong headwind and heavy rain along the last few km of beach into Perranporth so we were not sorry to see our friendly taxi driver again. He took us back home, we are showered and relaxed (that means a cider on ice) and ready to meet Liz and Nic at a local Indian restaurant soon.

Tomorrow has a 20 km section to Portreath. More hills than the last few days but similar vistas. The weather looks like holding but…

Anyway that’s today, day 16 of walking.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb