Finale


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » March
May 9th 2023
Published: May 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

World Cruise Finale



Well, this is the last instalment. I have finally got around to finishing it. All I need to do now is filter the photographs and make our photo books. Thank you all for the feedback and messages on the blog site. I have read them all and am pleased you have enjoyed my writing.



The last week.

Have had the most wonderful time. Will be very sorry that it has to end but of course will be very pleased to see Christopher and Nicole and the boys.



Sunday 9th April



Sea Day



R went to church. I lined Richard and Diane at the trivia quiz. Then we went up to Neptune pool area to find all the beds put away… there is an Easter Fete this afternoon, proceeds Teenage Cancer Trust, P & O’s favoured charity.

Managed to find a table but had to share, with the Scots chap with the drinks package.

Just to say there are 1200 of us who have done the whole world. Many we haven’t spoken to or even met, but some we have come across lots, some to speak to some to and and smile at, most of whom we don’t know know by name, if we even heard it.

This particular chap was almost always here at the Neptune bar and almost always had a pint in front of him, from any time after 10 am. We heard he had purchased the drinks package for the whole cruise which was £8000. We didn’t hear if he had managed to use his full allowance but he certainly gave it a good thrashing!!



Eventually moved to a table on our own as one became available, as ‘Jimmy’ ( well he was Scottish and we never did catch his name) had more and more folk join him!



D & R went off, Roger came and we had lunch, R went off for haircut and I watched preparations for Fete by entertainments team.

When R came back everything was under way so we went to have a look around.

It was very well done, they had roped in some of the officers too and everyone was mucking in.

There was Tombola, an Auction coming later, prizes out for perusal, a live one armed bandit!, Splat the Rat, some printed cards, (scenes from artists at the art class,), Play your cards right, hand coordination metal bar game, guess the weight cake, name the cuddly toy, skittles, bounce ball into pot, etc, etc, all good fun.

Actually R was pretty good at Splat the Rat!

Had been waiting to hear from Peter about Jerez tomorrow but still no news from him. Wifi time was getting short so decided to call Menene, we still had time to get on bus trip to Jerez before excursion booking desk closed.

Called her and she said Peter was in Seville, but yes, she’d love to see us so to come to Jerez.

Just in time, got some tickets for the bus!

Supper,

Show, Headliners, Mr Tickerton’s Clockwork Circus. Brilliant again, ending with the ensemble doing the Greatest Showman.

After the show went to listen to the Arcadia Band in the Crow’s Nest playing Glen Miller. Also very good.

11pm could see Gibraltar.

Earlier in day we had news on tannoy that had crossed the Greenwich Meridian and so we were now in the Western Hemisphere.

We had another medical emergency onboard and so ship had increased speed to get to Cadiz as quickly as possible.



Monday 10th April



Arrived Cadiz approx 4am. Roger up and looking out at arrival in port. He’ll never tire of this! So much to see.



A warm sunny day. Forecast in Cadiz 25 degrees, Seville 33 degrees where a lot of the excursions were heading. Our bus departs at 10.15 so out just before 10. So many years since have been to Cadiz, 1970s. Would really like to come back and spend some time in the area,.

Cadiz is thought to be the oldest city in Europe still standing. Founded in 1100BC by the Phoenicians, called Gades by the Romans, Qadis by the Moors.



We arrived in Jerez about 10.40, having driven over the salt pans once out of the city, now a protected area where flamingoes could be seen.

The bus dropped us at the Alcazar, and walked with us up to the Tourist information in the Plaza Arenal where she got maps for us all. Then she walked with us to find a taxi rank. Changed beyond recognition of course since I was last in the centre.

Arrived at San Bruno about 11.15, where Menene made us welcome, but concerned about my mobility when she saw the wheelchair. It was lovely to see her, as welcoming as ever, complimenting me on losing weight. We commiserated on the loss of Peter 18 months ago. So sad. There were a couple of little girls out on the patio when we went outside, Carla belonging to Paul and Fernanda, belonging to Peter. Paul lives in London and runs the London Viniberia office. He has 2 children, Paul, 11 and Carla, 9. Peter runs the Jerez office now and has Bertrand 11 and Fernanda 9. The children speak fluent English as well as Spanish.

Menene said Peter was in Seville, had been to the bullfight yesterday. Wasn’t sure when we were in Cadiz, had been planning to come to Cadiz with Menene, obviously hadn’t looked at my dates properly! Anyway, was lovely to be here, feels like coming home, I lived here for 4 and a half years altogether.

Paul appeared, turns out he and the family staying in the apartment over the garage for the holidays,( not sure where his wife was, didn’t get around to mentioning her!) . Chatted for a while and then Mercedes arrived. She lives in Jerez.

Seems that they all move in at fiestas etc to keep Menene company. Peter and family in the bottom bedrooms, think Mercedes’ comes too. There are 5 bedrooms plus the apartment.

The maid came out with a plates, made salmon sandwiches, and tapas of cheese, chorizo and salchichon. Chatted some more .

Menene’s sister Maribel appeared. We chatted some more. Went to the loo. On way backdown the corridor was followed by 2 boys. They said hello and I asked them if they knew who I was. That I used to look after their daddies when they were their age. One of them, Paul, it turned out, said “ Yes, we have heard a lot of good things about you!”

It was a gorgeous day, and it felt very god to be back in Jerez. I had had such a wonderful time living there. ( Yes I know I go on a bit)……

Menene said that Peter was coming back and would be here soon. That was great news. We talked about our families , Menene was interested in my sisters, had been very touched by the cards from them when Peter died. Always thought how wonderful it was that I had such a close family.



Marivel had disappeared but returned with some ensaladilla, practically force fed Roger and I. The conversations continues in English and Spanish.



Peter and Inez arrived to big affectionate hugs and kisses. More tapas appeared, croquettas, and little fried anchovies, all delicious.

Peter told me all about the bullfight, how it was the first of the year and he talked about the traditional Goyesca period costumes. Yesterday had been a good bullfight , 2 ears and a tail had been acquired by the matador…. Bullfighting is alive and well in most of Spain.

Peter also talked about the Semana Santa processions and showed us his costume. Apparently his grandfather was quite high up in his church and Peter was taking his place. They had to carry one of the tableau, not from underneath but each side, like an enormous coffin, 25 or 30 at least. They didn’t have the penitents pointy hat but an interesting head covering, nonetheless. He sent me pictures.

They also had their own processions with the children in the Campito gardens next door. They had made a tableau for the children, decorated with flowers and dressed it, so you couldn’t see under it. Must have been Peter and Paul’s kids plus some of their other half cousins. Peter and Paul have about 15 or so cousins, most with children ,in Jerez. They had their own procession around the grounds. The photos showed it to be very authentic!

Peter came and sat near me and we talked about their boys, were they off to Downsides like he and Paul, ( it’s a Roman Catholic school in England). Big Peter had gone there too. The boys were there too and young Paul said he was keen to go to a school in London, near where he lives now, not sure Bertrand was keen to go although Peter said he probably would.

Peter remembered how he came to stay with me once when he had an exeat, and his relations couldn’t take him, he was about 11 or 12. My dad had taken me down to Surry to pick him up.

Paul remembers coming to stay with me when he was about 5 when I was finding homes for his cousins with the pupils of Marshland High. Mercedes was supposed to have been coming to stay with her grandmother but she had chicken pox, so Paul said he’d like to come and stay with me instead so as not to waste the ticket!!

We arranged for him to go to the local primary school and my aunt took him every day when she took her niece and nephew to school!



I felt like I was in a time warp of nearly 50 years, very comfortable, felt like I was at home here.



All too soon it was time to go to catch the bus back to Cadiz. Paul was giving us a lift back to town and we had big hugs and promises to keep in touch. Peter better at it than Menene! Peter gave us a couple of bottles of sherry to take with us. Maybe sometime soon we can find somewhere to stay in this area instead of Javea. Suggested to Paul he might like to come and explore Cambridge sometime, to get out of London, it’s not so far….. or come and visit us. Maybe.



Back along the motorway, past the slatflats, and the flamingoes, over the new bridge and straight into the port. Such a pity no time to explore Cadiz.



Went out onto the back deck for the Sailaway, to wave goodbye to Spain until September.



Tuesday 11th April



At sea.



Why change our habits now, went to quiz, and then to sit by the pool on Neptune deck. Roof closed, pretty chilly now, out in the Atlantic heading North. Weather getting rough, force 7/8, predicted 9/10 later. Maybe should have started packing, but left it til tomorrow.



Went to dining dining room for supper, and then to theatre.



Wednesday 12th April



At sea.



Force 10. Crossing Atlantic, bordering Bay of Biscay. Started packing. Yep, maybe should have started before…. Still, it’s all got to go in somehow! Managed 2 bags before time to go to the quiz.. then back to cabin to continue after. We seem to have accumulated a lot of things. Think the boys will be OK for t shirts until they’re about 15!



Announcement from the captain, we had another medical emergency that needed an helicopter pickup. Medivac helicopter being mustered from Brittany and would pick up from us near Roscof within the next couple of hours. Decks to be closed, cabins in the vicinity to be vacated when the helicopter was close. We heard the helicopter when it arrived a little later. We also heard from a couple of sources, ( how they knew I don’t know but they did tally!) a lady had fallen in the bathroom during the night and had possible serious neck injury. Also that it had to be a winch collection as it was too rough to land.



Needed to get organised with clothes travelling in and pack everything else before 4 pm when bags needed to be outside cabin. Just keep hand luggage in cabin. Did manage to get another duffel bag from shop for overflow things….



Afternoon show was nice interlude, the Headliners singer who had given a concert in the globe last week was reappearing it in the theatre. She does have an excellent voice.



We went to the Self service restaurant for supper before going to the theatre after to see Neil Lockwood, from ELO. He is certainly still an amazing musician, both on piano and guitar. Did a couple of most well known ELO songs. Enjoyed so much R went to buy a CD.



Saw Richard and Diane after the show for an affectionate goodbye, with promises to keep in touch. They were certainly good company.



I have to mention a few of our fellow passengers, we did spent three and a half months with them after all. I’m sure there were some of the 1200 Round the World group we didn’t even meet. However



Sheila was a petite lady, about 4 feet 11 ins. who we came across quite often on trips, maybe due to accessibility. She had 2 new knees and was determined to take part in as much as possible. She came from Manchester area, had lost her husband about 18 months again but was determined to still do the cruise that had planned together. She has saved up for the cruise. She was very plain speaking and we had a god laugh with her. We saw her on our Gold coast trip paddling in the sea, she was very pleased with herself when we spoke to her!



Jean was a lady from S Wales who used to own a hotel. Almost the first thing she said to me was to treasure my husband as hers had died over 20 years ago in his 50s and she missed him desperately. We often went for supper around the same time and so ended up on the same table. She was sharing a cabin with a friend who was on the cruise with her. One story she told was of Dorothy Squires who lived in her hotel for a period. Her account was outstanding and she had made several reminders about payment. One day she had a member of staff telling her she was needed on the phone. The person said he was Roger Moore. She laughed and said words to the effect of pull the other one! And put the phone down.

The call came again and the caller said ‘ I. Am. Roger. Moore. I will pay Miss Squire’s bill’. Jean realised it was Roger Moore and said she would tell Miss Squires which she went off to do. Miss Squires was in fact adamant that she wold pay her own bills and sent that message back. She did indeed sort out her account soon after.

Roger Moore told Jean that he would be happy to pay any bills that accumulated, and Jean was to pass that message on,.





Thursday 13th April



SOUTHAMPTON



Up at 6am, ready for breakfast when Meridian restaurant opens. Arrived earlier than most of Roger’s breakfast pals, but sat with a couple. He spoke to others on way out after.



Had to be out of cabin be 8am, to go and check in for assistance. Took some time to find a lift as of course all busy, and by time got to assistance check in lots of people in front of us, altho we were not late.



There were delays all round - the ship was late in apparently, there were 12000 bags for the 2000 passengers that had to be disembarked before anyone could get off. Once people started disembarking there was another hold up - an enormous container ship had gone by and caused the air bridge to dislodge so that took another 30 mins to fix!



Christopher had arrived about 9.30 and was in a slow queue heading towards the pickup point.



We seemed to be waiting forever for our turn to disembark. I really don’t know how the order had been organised but we were low down on it! But at last it was us. The assistance guy was really helpful. Got a trolley for us, found our luggage really easily (there was so little left, think we were one of last off)

Once through customs we needed to find the Baggage Handling Company’s van and there was Christopher! How lovely to see him! We really appreciated him coming down to collect us.

Managed to get everything in the car wit a bit of creative a king, as the wheelchair was extra. We had sent it down early in December.



Soon out of the city and on the motorway, stopped after about 40 mins for a comfort break and a sandwich for lunch.

Home about 4.45, poor Christopher now had jobs to do before he could relax, payroll, food prep for his Warhammer weekend. We were about 2 to 3 hours later than anticipated. Nicole and the boys were at the bungalow to welcome us, a lovely homecoming.



What an adventure. A wonderful three and a half months. How lucky and privileged we have been!



Since being home we have been asked what was the most memorable place, where did we like best and I have to say all of it. But I think the best thing has been that I have been with Roger. We can relive our memories together.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb