Goodbye Princes Street, Hello Rio!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Reading
March 1st 2015
Published: March 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Nick: So, after 18 months or so of planning, the day we finally packed up our things and left our beloved little home had finally arrived. We had already had a week off work to sort the of house out and stow away ours things before handing over the keys to our new tenant Andy, and all that was left today was to tie up some loose ends, finish the cleaning and pack our bags, but the adventure wasn't due to start in earnest just yet - our flights to Rio were not until the following day. Instead, we had the chance to have one more evening with our friends (and family) Simon and Hayley, who were kindly putting us up for the last night before we left. A very enjoyable evening was had by all, including a truly amazing meal at 'Sindhu', a very posh Indian restaurant in Marlow, and a final few celebratory drinks afterwards.

As I write this first blog post the next morning (with a slightly banging head...), we are waiting for the taxi to come and collect us for the trip to Heathrow airport. Poor old Sarah has picked up the cold that I have just shifted, and isn't feeling too great at the moment...hopefully the 30-odd degree warmth of our first destination will help her to beat it! The first leg of our big adventure is a flight from Heathrow to Rio de Janeiro, via Rome. All in all it will be a 16-ish hour journey, leaving London at 16:25 today and landing at 06:00 in the morning, local time, tomorrow. The next blog update will therefore be our first post in anger from foreign soil! We are of course both buzzing with excitement - we are finally doing it!

Over the next six months we will be travelling round South America, Australia and Southeast Asia, livings out of our backpacks. Our aim is to keep a record of our travels on this blog, and share some photos, stories etc. with anyone who may be interested. For now, adios amigos (or however you say it in Portugese) - next stop Rio!

Sarah: just to add what a great time we had seeing a lot of our friends and family last Saturday night! Thank you everyone who came along to celebrate and catch up. I hope everyone has an amazing summer. Eeeeeeek!




Advertisement



2nd March 2015

Being mumsy
Lovely to hear your first steps on the big adventure. Sarah, do hope your cold has not materialised. Blame Nick. Love the hat you are wearing in your farewell photo. So you have made it to Rio. We are envious about the heat - dog walking this afternoon with windchill factor of about -6.that after snow in Grayshott this morning, just to enhance my trip to the dentist! See, other people can have exciting lives too. Looking forward to your next blog. Enjoy every minute, and much love from us.
16th April 2015

Woo Hoo!!! You DID it!
Oh Sarah and Nick! We are so deLIGHTed for you both! I finally got your BLOG to open. We are staying in an area near Port Townsend, WA and do not have good WIFI reception. I am looking forward to reading about your trip! Thanks for sharing your great adventure!!! xoxoxoxo cindy and Susan
20th April 2015

Woo Hoo indeed!
Thanks both. Glad you got the blog to open - there's certainly plenty for you to catch up on when you get chance! Hope you're also enjoying your adventure and having as much fun as we are - I'm sure you are! Lots of love, Sarah and Nick xxx

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb