A Day of Horses


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Reading
September 24th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.455, -0.969088

Breakfast at the Black Horse Inn was interesting, no option for cereal but the bacon sandwich (not toasted, on white bread) was popular! We decided to go to the much acclaimed Warwick Castle which opened at 10 today instead of the usual 9am. While we were waiting, we found out that 'thousands' of cubs and scouts were going to be there today. Given the noise that the first 20 were making, we decided to head to the hallowed city of Oxford.

Despite setting the Satnav to 'country lane' mode, we were soon hurtling down the M? at 70mph so we diverted to Banbury, of 'ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross' fame. We did see cock horses, the cross and the fine lady. Another pretty town, with a canal though the middle so we watched a couple of boats go by and then headed off, this time on country lanes which wound through the Cotswolds.

Uffington was the home of Thomas Hughes who wrote Tom Brown's Schooldays,set in Rugby, where we had been only a couple of days ago. We visited the tiny museum run by local volunteers and then headed up the hill to see the famous White Horse. Actually the only way to really see it is from the air - or on a postcard.

Then on for tea and scones - a nice contrast to breakfast and then to Reading where, to our surprise and confusion - we are surrounded by more horses!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th September 2016

We might just have to tweak your diet when you get home Gaynor!! Another fabulous blog - many thanks and safe travels!
25th September 2016

Doesn't look very appetising!
25th September 2016

That looks much better!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb