Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Zermatt
May 11th 2007
Published: March 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Zermatt

Zermatt & Gornergrat

On Top of the World!On Top of the World!On Top of the World!

We were out of breath by the time we walked the 1-200m up to this point! = 3136m up!
Leah and I decided our itinerary across Switzerland wasn’t jam packed enough, so somehow found time to squeeze in some sightseeing of the Swiss Alps between Geneva and Bern.

We started the day with a stunning train ride right along the north coast of Lake Geneva before heading into the mountains, then swapping trains to make our way up into the Alps to Zermatt.

We had a small look around Zermatt before catching a smaller train to wind our way up to Gornergrat - 3100m above sea level - in the hope to get views back across to the Matterhorn. It was very cold up the top on the exposed mountain, a lot colder than we had prepared for considering we were basking in the heat of the French Rivera only a day or two before - what a contrast!

Unfortunately, our views across the Alps and the famous Matterhorn were somewhat obscured by clouds, but it was still beautiful nonetheless. We managed to fill our one hour looking around up the top and then caught the next train back down to Zermatt.

We had a look in the local church and along some of the little
ZermattZermattZermatt

The town in the Swiss Alps
roads in the town to see all the Swiss mountain houses, like something off a chocolate box or out of a movie.
And that was all we had time for… gotta get the next train to Bern and back on schedule!

Check out more Photos



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Snow!Snow!
Snow!

A far cry from the hot beachesof the French Riviera just a day or two ago!
The MatterhornThe Matterhorn
The Matterhorn

All that we could see of the Matterhorn
Swiss AlpsSwiss Alps
Swiss Alps

I would not want to get lost up here!
GornergratGornergrat
Gornergrat

As high as you can get around here!
3100 metres up!3100 metres up!
3100 metres up!

Do you think he's for sale? I'm sure he'll fit in my suitcase!
Zermatt 3Zermatt 3
Zermatt 3

Wandering around the Swiss Mountain Village


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb