Last day in Saanenland and some Swiss ingenuity.


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Saanen
June 16th 2017
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Swiss Ride-on LawnmowerThe Swiss Ride-on LawnmowerThe Swiss Ride-on Lawnmower

Don't you love it? I'm sure John Deere would like it added to the fleet of farm implements
Now we're thoroughly aquainted with the area, it's nearly time to move on. Today was the last day in Saanenland and it's been a very good choice. Yes, we've passed this way before but only fleetingly. There is so much more to discover when you stay a while.

Today we stayed in the valley and walked in the morning from Schonried (about 2kms away) to Saanenmoser. It is an easy walk through grassy paddocks behind houses and down in the valley. We had expected to have lunch at Saanenmoser but nothing was open. It does not pay to arrive anywhere after 12 midday as they shut and go home then reopen later. Back in Schonried we did find somewhere open but with ridiculous prices for lunch so we had a coffee and went back to the apartment. In the afternoon we once again headed down into the valley to Saanen and found a trail along the river but it was darned hot and we soon tired of heading outwards so back to Saanen.

I should mention the Swiss Ride On Lawnmower we saw this morning. See the picture. John Deere would love it as an addition to their fleet of farm machines! It was a bike at the back and a push mower joined at the front so that instead of pushing the mower you rode the bike! It was also green and yellow like John Deere implements.

We visited the Museum which was excellent. There were several floors in an old building showing life in all it's variety over the years. It seems very different from the pioneering lifestyles of our ancestors in New Zealand. There was more attention to detail with their skills especially with wood working. Everything appeared to be made of wood whether it was houses, furniture, farm utilities, dairy utilities or handwork like spinning and weaving. There was a separate area on the history of the town that mostly seems to have originated from 1500 to 1600 and onwards although it did exist before that.

We then went up above the town to the church with it's huge spire and bell tower although it is not a big church by European standards. It was built in 1604 and no doubt as strong today as the day it was built. It is stone with a wooden roof and interior. The walls inside have
The church of St Maurice, SaanenThe church of St Maurice, SaanenThe church of St Maurice, Saanen

Built in 1604 with frescoes adorning the walls.
original frescoes over half the church and a huge pipe organ so it's well worth checking out. Surrounding the church is a very pretty cemetery with gardens at every gravesite.

Back down in the town are many old buildings and houses which are now preserved as examples of their architecture. It's not a big town at all but certainly well worth a stop if even for a coffee or a beer as we did today. So, we may not pass this way again. Who knows? Thankyou Saanenland for a great visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb