First Blog from Dion


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Montreux
April 23rd 2011
Published: April 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Train to RadansTrain to RadansTrain to Radans

This is the grove in the track that the train uses to more forward.
We had to get a bus to Sydney, fly to Singapore (8 hours but on Airbus A380!), fly to London (13 HOURS but also on A380), change terminals, fly to Zurich (2 hours sadly not on A380), get 3 trains to get to Radans, SO TIRERING. The A380 is the first double story passenger jet in history. It cruises at 800km/h. Pulling my sweet little boy act, I got to go have a look on the top story and in the cockpit.

We are preparing to leave Switzerland to go to Leon today. While in Switzerland we have been to Bern, Zurich, Geneva, Taun, Lausanne & Montreux. The trains here are fantastic and they network the entire country. The countryside is beautiful; it's full of fields and mountains and clear blue skies. Uncle Radan's house is in Caux near Montreux. To get from Montreux to Caux the trains turns a cog that fits into a grove in the track to power up the hill because the mountains are very steep. And when you go up the other end of the track, You can look down on Montreux, Lake Geneva and some french mountains on the other side of Lake Geneva.
MountainsMountainsMountains

A view from about 1800 metres high.


When we went to the capital, Bern; we went to the Swiss Parliament House. You have to give them your passport to get in and you can't take in your camera. Also you can't just wander round like in Australian Parliament House, you have to go on a tour and we got stuck on a French Tour. At least we had what the tour guide said written in English. Bern has these lightrail things just running around the streets. Very efficient!!

Our swiss rail pass has taken care of EVERYTHING! It cost $800 but it has already paid off it's own value more than 4 times! The other good thing is that our swiss rail pass (when we bought it) came with a FREE first class upgrade!

We are going to Leon today for 2 days before going to Paris. So I better go.

Blog soon,

Dion




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

LightrailLightrail
Lightrail

A lightrail running the streets of the capital, Bern.
Swiss ParlimentSwiss Parliment
Swiss Parliment

An exterior view of the Swiss Parliament House..
Bus Station in BernBus Station in Bern
Bus Station in Bern

The central bus station in Bern.
Bus in BernBus in Bern
Bus in Bern

A bus running in Bern as you may notice, the doors are on the right side.
Family ShotFamily Shot
Family Shot

Us at the top of an 1800m mountain.
A CastleA Castle
A Castle

A Castle in the city of Taun.
Tower ClockTower Clock
Tower Clock

The big clock of Bern.
A380A380
A380

Our A380 waiting to take off from Sydney Airport.
London Heathrow Terminal 5London Heathrow Terminal 5
London Heathrow Terminal 5

A shot of the 10 story high and British Airways only terminal at Heathrow; Terminal 5.
A MarmetA Marmet
A Marmet

A marmet is a rodent that Evan is very fond of.


23rd April 2011

I so much like hearing about public transport and other matters of interest to Dion. So Evan thanks for photo of marmot (they are one of my favourite creatures) but please tell me more yourself!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb