Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
September 2nd 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hobart to Zurich


We arrived in the capital of Bern at around 8.30am. We decided to dump our backpacks in a train locker and check the city out before we moved on to where we were staying. Bern is a really nice, relaxed place. Doesn't seem like a capital city. There are nice parks and the river winds through the city where you can swim. The temp is around 18 degrees. Feels warmer though. We took a few photos, checked out the siets, then jumped on a train for an hour's trip to Interlaken. Once we arrived there, it was another short train ride to our accommodation for the next two days. The small town of Lauterbrunnen. It is a beautiful place, nestled between two cliffs, with waterfalls flowing down the side. We stayed in a cabin that berths 4, but there wasn't anyone else in it, so we had it to ourselves. We bought a few supplies for dinner (mine consisted mostly of beer, bread and Swiss cheese).
Our second day in Switzerland took us up to the top of Stillthorn (or near enough to that spelling). For those James Bond fans, it is the place where they shot alot of the movie On Her Majestys Secret Service. Its about 3km high and has awesome views. There was snow everywhere, yet wasn't that cold. The only way to get to the top was to hike or use the cablecar, which we did. The cable car stopped at a few small villages along the way, which were exactly how you'd imagine a swiss village to be.
We also checked out Trummelbach Falls on the way back, which is a waterfall that is actually inside a mountain. There's a pathway that leads through the mountain showing different parts of the waterfall. It was pretty amazing. Pity my camera's batteries went flat. Al got some photos though.
On our third day, we caught the train back to Interlaken, and checked the town out. The lady at the info desk told us that there was a festival on that only happened every 12 years, so we were lucky enough to say we went to it. Even if it wasn't much. A lot of food stalls and Swiss music and dancing. After spending an hour or two in Interlaken, we caught the train for a two hour trip to Zurich. Its the compete opposite to Bern. It was very full-on and helter skelter. I wasn't overly impressed with the city. Too many freaks around as well. We wandered around until it was time to hop on a train for another overnight journey to the next country.... Austria.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb