Grindelwald - Interlaken


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
July 17th 2011
Published: July 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Due to poor bus frequency up the Kiental Valley, we flagged that idea and decided instead to go to Adelboden, up the valley from Frutigen. Since the forecast was for rain we figured we could do a lower hike back down the valley. However, on getting to Interlaken it was raining steadily. By Speiz it was raining, cold and blowing and the lake was very choppy. Now the choice of hiking territory wasn't looking like such a good idea. Hmmm, what to do? Go home or go elsewhere? Since we were to go to Mariann's for dinner we opted to stay around the area and instead go down Lake Brienz to Iseltwald on the south side of the lake. We put on all our wet weather gear, covered the packs and set off in continous steady rain. It didn't let up. Normally, this would be a very scenic walk along the lake shore but not today. We arrived dying for a nice hot coffee or chocolate but the ferry boat was coming across the lake and we weren't waiting for the next one. On the boat, everyone opted to stay inside so there was no hope of sitting down or having a drink there. Back in Interlaken there was the usual jam of furiners (foreigners) ambling along with umbrellas in your face so we did what the locals do and headed to a back street. Ah, peace at last. Then the walk to Unterseen for dinner, a walk to the station afterwards, and a final trudge up the hill to the house. We reckon about 15kms for today. Only a couple of Kiwi's would be silly enough to choose a long walk in the rain.

A wet Sunday in Switzerland is not a good place to be if you are a tourist. All shops are closed and that includes supermarkets and any food stores. Restaurants are open but not much else. Hence tourists ambling around in the streets with little else to do to keep amused.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.463s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb