Day 21 22 23 Longest Cable Car ride ever, James Bond, and a nasty shock!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
May 25th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 21 22 23
The last 3 days in Interlaken, we have spent making use of our six day pass on the trains, cable cars and buses in the Jungfrau region. We have done a variety of high walks and have been blessed by the weather- the Swiss are having an unusually dry spell - but to our advantage. Today the 24th May we had a wonderful day on the Schilthorn mountain, with a 30 minute cable car ride to get to it. This mountain complex was used for the James Bond film : On Her Majesties Secret Service’ the views are spectacular and it has a revolving restaurant, which we had to try-where you can literally watch the world go by. Sadly there wasn’t a Martini - shaken or stirred, to be seen.

We are nearly at the end of our stay in Interlaken, Switzerland, and the last in our stay of the Germanic speaking countries. The choice of food in these regions are poor- not enough choice, or vegetables.
Though if you looking for the typical Swiss landscape, of staggering 3000metre plus Mountains, Cable Cars, fantastic transport links, hiking and cycling in the mountains. Or you want to leap off mountains, skydive, Zip-wire, try white water rafting. Interlaken is a great place to go. Check though, that when you do want to go, that all transportation is open. Usually most things open in June, also bear in mind when visiting things like the ‘Top of Europe-Jungfraujoch’ that you pick a quiet time and try and avoid the crowds.
In the next few days we head south, for Italy and the lakes, and hopefully better food....



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Eiger and Monch Eiger and Monch
Eiger and Monch

These mountains looked eerie by late evening.
Schilthorn Mountain StationSchilthorn Mountain Station
Schilthorn Mountain Station

Used in the film 'On her majesty's secret service'
Cows with bellsCows with bells
Cows with bells

In order to bring you this stunning photo, I endured extreme pain- didnt realise I was so close to an electric fence.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb