Interlaken - Day 2


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
September 26th 2005
Published: October 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

A perfect postcardA perfect postcardA perfect postcard

I think we could market this!
(Posted October 18 by Kim)

We totally enjoyed sleeping in on our second day in Interlaken. We got up and decided to try and go sailing before taking the train back to Zurich that evening, but the sailing place was already booked up for the day. The weather was very cloudy and cold, so we decided para gliding wouldn’t be very fun either. We decided to just take the ferry boat to the end of one of the lakes instead and then either ride it back or we could take the train from there. It was a great way to just see the lake and the mountains! The water was so blue in the lake and the river in Interlaken that we joked about it being dyed blue, like the treated toilet bowl water. The water was so incredibly still and smooth, too, that it almost didn’t feel real.

We ended up in Brienz at the end of our ride and decided to eat lunch there at a little sandwich place that had warm sandwiches and paninis. Their food and prices were so much better than what we found in Interlaken. Tanya and Wilson had been ordering in German, then Joe ordered the “Train Driver Burger” off the English version menu in a great Texas accent and this couple beside us started cracking up laughing with us. Turns out they were Americans on a tour of Switzerland with a master wood carver. The husband did wood carving as a hobby since he had retired recently. We also found out that he had gone to Texas Tech to school….go Raiders! We thought that was pretty cool. They were really nice and said they enjoyed our company after being on a group tour with some very annoying people. They were nice enough to take our picture for us, and as they were leaving they mentioned they had bought our lunch for us! We were very surprised and very thankful. We couldn’t decide if they were thankful for the company or if we looked like we needed to be treated to a meal...either way we were very appreciative.

We rode the train back to Interlaken, turned in Tanya & Wilson’s bicycles so Wilson could get his passport back, then hopped on a train to Zurich so we could then catch our overnight train to Amsterdam that left at 8:44 and arrived
Fall has arrived in SwitzerlandFall has arrived in SwitzerlandFall has arrived in Switzerland

Unlike Austin, Switzerland has all 4 seasons, and the trees prove it!
the next morning at 9:41 (13 hours on the train, our longest of the whole trip)! We had a ton of great pics from this day, so here's a few to enjoy. They're the highlight of this blog =)

-Kim


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Proof that I am a tree hugger =)Proof that I am a tree hugger =)
Proof that I am a tree hugger =)

The walk just from our hostel along the river was beautiful! We woke up in such a great mood from just being in such a beautiful place, and you can from the picture that I feel refreshed!
A walking backpack!A walking backpack!
A walking backpack!

Joe is under that back pack somewhere. He was just glad it was lighter since he had been carrying most of our dirty clothes in a stuff sack in his back pack. Since we did some laundry my clean ones made it back into my bag.
Lake BrienzLake Brienz
Lake Brienz

Looks like there might be some ski runs in the distance. Maybe we'll come back one day in the winter and snowski. I can dream big!
My cute hubbyMy cute hubby
My cute hubby

While I did drag him around a lot with my fast pace on the trip, this is proof that he did smile at least a few times! He really was a great travel partner and was in a good mood most of the time.
My dream houseMy dream house
My dream house

I could definitely live here!
Waterfall into Lake BrienzWaterfall into Lake Brienz
Waterfall into Lake Brienz

They almost lost me at this stop. I would've gotten off the boat to check it out but I wasn't sure when the next boat would come back!
The JungfrauThe Jungfrau
The Jungfrau

This is the boat we rode on for over an hour.
Brienz train stationBrienz train station
Brienz train station

We didn't mind sitting and waiting here for the train at all.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb