Grindelwald - Grimsel Pass area


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Guttannen
July 12th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Looking over heads down the funicular lineLooking over heads down the funicular lineLooking over heads down the funicular line

This photo looks over the heads of passengers directly down on the line descending at 106 degrees.
Instead of doing the 4 Passes bus tour, we decided to visit the lakes area at the end of the Hasliberg Valley beyond Meirengen and Innerkirchen just below the Grimsel Pass. The objective was the Handeck funicular (Gelmerbahn) up to Lake Gelmer then walk down. We knew from the literature and pictures that the funicular was steep, but it was ridiculously steep! Terrifying in fact. For me anyway. I spent the whole trip up with my eyes shut. The funicular reaches a slope of 106 degrees - given that 90 degrees is straight up, this gives you an idea of how steep it is. And it's high. When going up you can look directly down over the rail line and cable hauling you up. I thought the Pilates rail designer was a nutter, but the person that thought of this one was truly mad!

From the lake at the top of the funicular you either walk down or get the funicular down. For me, walking was the lesser of the two evils - except it was a path along a cliff face which I don't like. But, you do what you must do. Since we had a lot of time
Looking up the funicular lineLooking up the funicular lineLooking up the funicular line

This should give a perception of the steepness of the grade up the mountain.
to spare until the next bus we walked back down the valley to Handeck. The track wound around the other side of the valley and along the way we saw a German guy slip on a wet rock and sail down the slab and into the stream. He cut his head but was okay.

It is difficult to describe this valley. It is extremely rugged with high mountains and glaciers on either side. The rock is eroding quickly so there are many rock slides coming off the mountains and forming large fans at the bottom. At the head of the valley are four lakes at different levels which have been dammed then joined by numerous tunnels to create 7% of the country's electricity. It is an interesting, rugged and not particularly hospitable place.

On the way home there was a huge deluge that came out of nowhere. The rain belted down then disappeared. The temperatures have been very high and humid with warm winds. Presumably this is setting up some peculiar atmospheric conditions and hence all the thunderstorms we continue to get.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb