Day 8 - Montreaux, Switzerland to Grindelwald, Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Grindelwald
September 17th 2018
Published: September 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 8


Wow, what a day this was.

After breakfast in Montreaux, we hit the road again, first stop, the famous ski/climbers destination, Zermatt, Switzerland. The first part of the leg was through rolling hills at the foot of some beautiful mountains. This was wine country, with Vineyards placed in every available piece of land. There were. Vineyards planted on steep hills that made you wonder how they tended and harvested the grapes.

After the turn at Visp, the scenery changed significantly. We began our climb into Zermatt, with steep, switchbacked roads, and gorgeous scenery beyond each turn. One has to stop in Tasch, the town prior to Zermatt, and take a train the rest of the way In, as cars are not allowed in town.

Our first impression of Zermatt was a little disappointing, as it is extremely commercialized. Stores and restaurants line the streets, hiding much of the view. It is only after walking through this area, and reaching "old Zermatt", did the scenery pickup. There, off to our southwest was the Mattehorn, and it is spectacular. We took many pictures of the mountain, as it was always changing. It seems to develop its own weather, and the clouds were swirling around it.

Took a walk down some very old streets and saw the early quarters that were available to the skiers and Alpinists from long ago. Very primitive. We then had a lite lunch of soup and strudel, and headed for the train.

After backtracking to Visp, we turned to the northeast and headed toward Grindelwald. This when things got interesting. The road is deep in the Alps and we were used to that, but after passing Munster, we started a climb of 7000 feet on the steepest, narrowest, switchbacked road we've ever been on. There are also no gaurdrails on this road, and you're looking over the edge far too often. Sandy said she couldn't look, and that her hands were sweating. Diane was in a coma, and said she would need to throw out some pieces of clothing. Ray said the views were unbelievable, and even stopped along the road and walked to the edge to get pictures of the switchbacks many thousands of feet below.

Well, you know the saying, what goes up, must come down. This road is no exception. We descended the 7000 feet back down under the same conditions. Beautiful but scary.

After taking a turn at Interlakun, we headed up to Grindelwald. The views here can't be described. We have three mountains right outside our hot window, the Eiger, Munch and Jungfrau, all major peaks in the Alps.

After settling into the room, we walked into town and had a wonderful schnitzel dinner with a very good local wine. Off to bed early, as we have an early excursion tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




18th September 2018
DSCN7513

Unbelievable
Love al the pictures. That road is something else. My hands were sweating just looking at the picture. Not good on heights either .. Every picture so far are all frameable. Have fun
18th September 2018
DSCN7535

Blog
We have been following you daily. What a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
18th September 2018

Many Memories
Grindelwald was a favorite skiing destination of mine in the late '60s when I was stationed in Germany. We would stay in a $2-a-night hostel/b&b run by a British couple. I first got to Zermatt in '71 and again in '85 (this time with Maryanne). Your photos bring back many special memories. Thank you!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb