Heat Wave in Geneva


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
July 5th 2017
Published: July 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Deb at Lake GenevaDeb at Lake GenevaDeb at Lake Geneva

A Jet plume hat?
We decided to go for it and get on the bus (Bus F) into Geneva today. Simple enough? No. We got onto our bus with money in hand only to discover the driver does not sell tickets; it is done by way of an automated vending machine which only takes coins!!! ? We had none - so sat down and took our seats hoping we would not be found out. Along our route we passed the United Nations, UNICEF and the famous "3 legged chair". Our trip was only about 15-20 minutes. We made the trip into the main Train Station (Gare Cornavin). We weren't arrested for riding without a ticket but immediately went to a location where we could purchase some Swiss Franc coins for our return back to our BnB.



We then headed to the train station's underground and discovered many shops and restaurants and thankfully AIR CONDITIONING ❄️ Thank goodness. It was 93 degrees outdoors and we were melting.



Eventually we made our way out of the station and onto Lausanne Avenue where we strolled among the shops and people of Geneva as we headed towards Lake Geneva on our quest to
Lake GenevaLake GenevaLake Geneva

How beautiful
see the famous Jet D'Eau on the lake. We finally made it to the breathtaking sight of the wonderful Jet and were also impressed to see a beautiful merry go round. One thing you must be aware of are the constant bicycles ?‍♀️ that dart in and among the pedestrian traffic. You must have your eyes open at all times. ? As well, we noticed many young men riding scooters around town and some even on motorized unicycles.

Lake Geneva is a beautiful clear lake. It was wonderful to see swans sailing along on the lake as well as many boats and ferries. A beautiful sight indeed. Amazing blue skies. We walked over the bridge dodging bicycles on our way. This will take some getting used to for Deb. Bicycles are ridden on the sidewalks and not the roadways. Once across the bridge, we found ourselves in a lovely garden with all types of unique trees and made our way into the shade for a nice break from the sun. Ice cream also helped cool us down. There some young men break dancing and trying out their latest moves inside an open air gazebo. We set out to find
Wayne at Lake Geneva, SwitzerlandWayne at Lake Geneva, SwitzerlandWayne at Lake Geneva, Switzerland

With Jet D'Eau in the background
the famous Floral Clock (La Cloche Des Fleurs). We managed to miss it but eventually did locate it - really impressive.

It was now time to make our way back to Central Station and find our Bus F back "home". With some hunting we tracked down our bus and returned home without a hitch and we PAID for our tickets this time. The bus ticket vending machine on board the bus is quite confusing but we did our best.

All good, we had a bit of dinner (a salad and pizza) which we picked up at the local grocery store and called it a day. We are beginning to get the hang of this European life. We just need to get our Euros and Francs sorted out as we are sleeping in France ??but playing in Geneva ??. We will figure it out eventually.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th July 2017

Looks great, glad your finding your way around. Den and I did something similar when we came to Toronto, we bought a TTC ticket and thought that lasted all day so returned using the same ticket lol. Thanks for the blog.
9th July 2017

Thanks
So far so go , pas de problem , Thanks for the encouragement , hugs W and D

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb