2 groovers get lost in the Alps!!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
December 31st 2014
Published: December 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

well, better late than never!

2 groovers got lost in the really bad snow storm in Geneva. What a journey!

We were on the 7am bus from Annecy France to go across the Alps to Geneva. Although its only 35 mins away, the journey on bus should have taken 1hr 20 mins max.

So 2.5 hours later we arrive. The journey was interesting to say the least. Firstly, it was the first of winter snow, and a snow storm we had. Speed was limited to about 40klms, you couldn't possibly do more. Visibility....limited!...We were buffeted from left to right, the journey was not one I'd like to repeat. At one point, we were coming around a bend from one road to another, and a truck had pulled over, due to lack of vision. We should have too. Instead, the bus must go onwards....so, to get around the bus, on an embankment, we moved up, then back, then up, then back. On one of the back manouvers, we clipped the truck (right beside my window mind you), so then we go forward. Eventually, we go forward all the way, around the truck and back on the road. I, had my long coat over my head, thinking if I dont see it, all will be ok. mmmm!

So we arrive, in the sticks, in Geneva! Freezing wet rain now!! the train/bus station was supposed to be central. I guess thats central to something but not the city. Oh well...what else could happen, hey!

We flagged a taxi down, (you might wonder why nobody uses taxis in Switzerland??) Well $45 aud later, and a flag fall of about $17 aud...we finally make into the city center. Hit the tourist office, I'm sure the staff were laughing quietly....why would we be there, on that day of all days available. Well, so windy and raining, and freezing...to difficult to even cross on the bridge to the interesting side of town.

After the worst and most expensive McDonalds ever, 2 bacon & egg muffins & hot drink was equal to approx $22aud/E15! it was horrible as well. Anyway, we made an executive decision, to go back to Annecy. Geneva was not workable this day.

Back on the train we went, and wow, sometimes, its the trip you least expect that turns out to be the best ever. We went through valleys, over gorges, long tunnels shooting through mountains/alps, and what a sight we had all the way. The only way to do the alps...by train!

So, hope you get to enjoy these well earned photos of the French Alps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb