Geneva - A United Nations City


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
November 23rd 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Geneva, with its population of 300,000 people, is described as the 'City of Protestantism' having adopted the Reformation in 1852. It is the second largest city in Switzerland after Zurich and also the world capital of watch-making. Following the completion of the Marist Higher Education Conference in Salamanca, we were invited to travel to Geneva, in the south west of Switzerland (with its 6.5 million residents), to visit Br Cesar Henriquez and witness his work with the United Nations. Cesar is our Marist representative with Franciscans International. Geneva is situated where the Rhone river leaves Lake Geneva. The Geneva Conventions were signed here. These mainy concern the treatment of wartime non-combatants and prisoneers of war.

During our stay we also visited the Headquarters of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and met with Human Rights Officer, Thierry del Prado. Thierry spoke about the role of the Human Rights Office as 1. To forward reports to the Human Rights Council about breaches of human rights 2. To visit countries when invited by Governments and 3. To send independent reporters to countries when there is evidence of human rights violations. Thierry spoke well of the current Australian Government and its opennes to
Marists visit the United NationsMarists visit the United NationsMarists visit the United Nations

5th from the left is Aurora Castillo (anthropology lecturer at a Government University) and 3rd from the left Jaime Nieto (rector of a Marist University in Mexico).
good dialogue.

On Tuesday 25th November we headed for the Headquarters of the United Nations. What an experience! This beauytiful setting overlooks Lake Geneva. It was donated by a wealthy Swiss gentleman who gave the land provided three conditions were fulfilled 1. that he could be buried in the grounds, 2. that the grounds be open to the public (which they are not now for security reasons) and 3. that 8 peacocks could live in the gardens. This Office handles disarnament, human rights, labour and health.

The Basilica of Notre Dame was built in 1852. It became a Minor Basilica in 1954.

Catholic Fribourg renounced its allegiance with Geneva in 1511.

Protestant Leader John Calvin was based in Geneva from 1536 until his death in 1564. He founded the University of Geneva in 1559 which houses one of the oldest public schools in the world. St Francis de Sales was Bishop of Geneva from 1602 to 1621, restoring Catholicism to a large part of the diocese. On 30 June, 1907 most of the Catholics of Geneva voted for the separation of Church and State.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Meeting at the UNMeeting at the UN
Meeting at the UN

We met with Thierry del Prado (pictured centre), Human Rights Officer with the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
President Woodrow WilsonPresident Woodrow Wilson
President Woodrow Wilson

President Wilson is honoured in Geneva for having established the League of Nations, the predecessor organisation to the United Nations.
Annual BazaarAnnual Bazaar
Annual Bazaar

The Bazaar raises funds to improve the lives of children affected by poverty, disabilities, conflict, disseases or natural disasters. It brings together people from all backgrounds in a colourful celebration of our cultural diversity.
Headquarters of the Red CrossHeadquarters of the Red Cross
Headquarters of the Red Cross

Located across the street from the United Nations


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb