photos of castle chillon


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As promised, here are my photos from castle chillon, located in Montreux, Switzerland. Most of the captions were taken from the Chillon Castle brochure they gave us when we entered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

CellarCellar
Cellar

Probably dating back to the 11th century, this area was subsequently extended and reorganized. In its current state it dates from the 13th century; the Gothic vaults are typical of the architectural period. It was used as a cellar and store.
PosternPostern
Postern

In the past, prisoners were probably kept here. It was originally used as a cellar. It most likely became an execution room from the 16th century.
PosternPostern
Postern

The gate was added to allow the castles occupants to unload goods, or, if necessary, escape via the lake, as occurred in 1536 when the castle was taken by the Bernese.
Bonivard's PrisonBonivard's Prison
Bonivard's Prison

This store for supplies and weapons was turned into a prison in approximately 1290.
Bonivard's PrisonBonivard's Prison
Bonivard's Prison

This store for supplies and weapons was turned into a prison in approximately 1290.
Bonivard's PrisonBonivard's Prison
Bonivard's Prison

The prison owes its fame to the English poet Lord Byron who, in 1816, recounted the tale of the captivity of Francois Bonivard in this underground cellar in his poem "the prisoner of chillon"
Bonivard's prisonBonivard's prison
Bonivard's prison

This sketch dates back to the 15th century, and was supposed to help to ease the executed into the afterlife
CryptCrypt
Crypt

It was a part of a chapel which dated from the 11th century and served the village of Chillon. The chapel was abandoned in the 13th century when the chapel in the upper part of the castle was built. Today, only remanents of teh altar and stairs remain.
Ancient WallAncient Wall
Ancient Wall

The wall of the fortification shown here are the first fortified extension, dating from before the 13th century.
Constable's Dining RoomConstable's Dining Room
Constable's Dining Room

Most of the castle's walls and decor has been created using tempera from models dating from the end of the 13th century. The oak columns are originals from the 13th century. The ceiling and chimney date from the 15th century.
Constable's Dining RoomConstable's Dining Room
Constable's Dining Room

The room is in the part of the castle previously used for habitation, explaining the large windows dating from the 13th century. During the Savoy period, it was used as a dining room for the chatelain. During the Bernese period, it was divided in two: one part was used as a kitchen and the other as a sitting room.
Bernese bedroomBernese bedroom
Bernese bedroom

Used as a bedroom in the middle ages, this room probably had the same function during the Bernese period. The decor, dates from the start of the 17th century.
Coat of arms hallCoat of arms hall
Coat of arms hall

The arms room was the reception room in the middle ages. The chimney and the coffered ceiling date from the 15th century.
Coat of arms hallCoat of arms hall
Coat of arms hall

The polychrome frieze is decorated with coats of arms of the Bernese bailiffs, the chillon administrators who lived in the castle from 1536 to 1733.


Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb