Spring Weekend Slobbery '07: Lac Gruyere


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West
May 22nd 2007
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Long-legged bridge arches...Long-legged bridge arches...Long-legged bridge arches...

... being engulfed by the surrounding trees.
Lost at Lac Gruyere

Coming back from our visit to Meribel, we drove past this lake. It looked peaceful, blue and there was evidence of beach possibilites. Also, importantly, from the motorway road it looked easily accessible! Famous last words! It took us at least an hour to do a journey which should have taken us five minutes (had we known the correct road to take).

Notes to self:
1. When a Lake looks 'close' from a motorway, it is at least a one hour drive away...possibly more, though villages and/or dirt tracks.
2. When you want to find the most direct route to a destination you can guarantee that the unsignposted direction that you are taking (or even the signposted direction in some cases) is the opposite to which you should be taking.


We finally parked near a couple of cars next to a tiny prefab. This prefab, which resembled the toilet blocks that you get at temporary fairs, had been designated as a showroom/estate agent to sell luxury apartments which will soon no doubt fill the fields across which we had to stumble to reach the lake.

I can understand why people would want to live next to this lake. There were very few houses already built by the lake so I guess its a prime spot for development. It's not often the case, but here (our opinion)the view of the modern humanmade structure over the lake adds to the character of the scene. The long thin supports of the bridge and the graceful arches fit it well with the natural landscape.

So what did we do on the beach?.... As always we took out our water and our Thermos and had a nice cup of tea.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb