Looking Back


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich » Zürich
May 8th 2021
Published: May 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

our time together our time together our time together

an investment in us
After 66 Blog entries, with over 65'000 words and 2'000 pictures, we have completed our sabbatical or you can call it extended honeymoon travel blog. 11 months ago we packed our bags, quit our jobs and headed into an adventure which turned out much less predictable than originally envisaged.

Despite all sorts of Covid related travel restrictions, limitations to places we wanted to visit (museums and concerts were really a no-no) and health related conditions - we were tested 7 times during our travels - we managed to do unique things, see astonishing places, witnessed memorable events and above all spent 11 months together in all this. An unique, rich and unforgettable time bringing us closer together. Allow us to summarise and reminiscent our impressions.

First step was disconnecting from the cute, luxurious Bangkok life-style, saying with a heavy heart but huge expectations good bye to our friends community. Then in far away Switzerland we married, making good on the Covid related postponement of this ceremony. The summer hiking & biking in Switzerland was accompanied by splendid weather and unforgettable, trails and sceneries. The ascent of the Breithorn with 4'250m, using ice picks, crampons and ropes marked the first highlight and objective of our tour ("Climb a peak higher than 4'000m in the Alps). Thereafter spending 10 weeks in Nenad's home country Croatia, seeing the hot Mediterranean summer turning into fall, learning about the Dalmatian philosophy of polahko (slowly) and fijaka (dolce fa niente, sweet doing nothing) was the second objective. Days do not have to be always action packed to feel good. In October change of plans became necessary. Travelling to Peru, Bolivia and Patagonia became impossible. Nenad's so much desired motorbike adventure to Ushuaia fell through. Plan B with South Africa and Namibia was however more than a replacement. "TIA" (this is Africa) became a hole new experience. Wildlife, racial issues, natural forces and colonial history accompanied us on our two months 8'000km journey we undertook self-driving through the vast plains of these two countries on and off road. Especially Namibia charmed and captured us. Back in Switzerland in full winter, the slopes were awaiting us and we managed to ski some of the most beautiful terrains of the Alps. Lastly closing the circle, we travelled back to Thailand. Locked up for 14 days in a hotel room to comply with the Thai quarantine rules was a very new experience. Visiting family and friends under difficult Covid dominated circumstances was what followed. Bangkok lost its lively, noisy charm. It hit us how the capita, but also other places we visited were hit by the economic downturn in Thailand. And the situation is continuing, no immediate betterment visible. Seeing so many people suffer, losing their smiles and hopes for the future left us sad. Nevertheless the reunion with our friends was wonderful and emotional and certainly worth the effort of the trip.

We would like to thank all our readers and followers of this blog for your interest. We hope we were able to bring you some of the areas and some of our emotions closer. We also would like to thank all the friends who have along these 11 months helped us in realizing our sabbatical, especially Ana and Tomislav Condic, who were instrumental in supporting us in the rediscovery of Croatia. Lastly we are truly grateful that we could establish our base camp under the same roof as Nenad's parents in Switzerland. Spending so much time with them as we did in between the various travelling episodes, Nenad considers a real blessing. Since he was
Getting marriedGetting marriedGetting married

Wil, July 3, 2020
15 years, Nenad was drawn professionally and privately exploring the globe, having little time for his parents. To finally combine emotional and physical proximity with them meant much.

We wish you all best of luck and health, hoping you will overcome the pandemic medically, emotionally and economically with strength. We hope to see you all in person again once travelling will be reinstated globally.

WE DECLARE THIS BLOG CLOSED !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Summer in SwitzerlandSummer in Switzerland
Summer in Switzerland

Ascent to Breithorn
Gorgeous CroatiaGorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

Island of Brac
Gorgeous Croatia Gorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

Vodice wines
Gorgeous CroatiaGorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

Plitvice Lakes
Gorgeous CroatiaGorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

Janjetina in Gorski Kotar
Gorgeous CroatiaGorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

Trakoscan Castle
Gorgeous CroatiaGorgeous Croatia
Gorgeous Croatia

so many sunsets
South Africa South Africa
South Africa

Hoyo Hoyo Lodge, Krueger
South Africa South Africa
South Africa

Krueger National Park
South Africa South Africa
South Africa

Kudu in Nambiti Game Reserve
South Africa South Africa
South Africa

Golden Gate NP, Clarens
South Africa South Africa
South Africa

Drakensberg Mountains, Sani Pass


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb