Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
June 15th 2017
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

The easiest (though not the least expensive way) to get from Lubeck to Sweden is to take a ferry from Puttgarden, Germany to Rodby Denmark and then, the famous Oresund Sound bridge from Denmark to Malmo, Sweden. This was a painless and enjoyable process. The Scandinavians certainly know how to run ferries. If you have visited this area, then you know just how dependent people are on them. Denmark is an archipelago and the coasts of Sweden and Norway are characterized by strings of islands. More and more bridges are being built but ferries are still the backbone of coastal transportation. Our car ferry was like a small cruise ship with a good restaurant and pleasant sitting areas.

The ferry to Denmark takes about 45 minutes and then it is about a two hour drive to Malmo. Unfortunately, the goals of this trip meant that Denmark was only a highway to get us to Sweden. (We did have a nice view of Copenhagen as we approached the bridge!) There is only one way to describe the terrain of Denmark: Flat, flat and flat. Crossing the Oresund Sound by tunnel and bridge is very dramatic. And again, the logistics are painless. Plenty of toll booths with friendly attendants who take credit cards.

Malmo is a busy industrial and shipping town and has received some notoriety for its issues with middle eastern immigrants. We saw none of that on our short stay. We had a nice hotel right on the coast with a great view of the Bridge. And just across the street was a yacht club and restaurant with excellent food!

Next day we headed up the coast to a beautiful small coastal town called Fjallbacka which was recommended by our friends Bonnie and Dean. This town is a tourist destination for the Swedes! It was well worth the stop and we spent the night in a hotel right on the water.

Then on to Horten, Norway!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cars on the FerryCars on the Ferry
Cars on the Ferry

You can see how spotless this area is.
Crossing The BridgeCrossing The Bridge
Crossing The Bridge

Some of you may have watched the Danish/Swedish TV series by this name. No dead bodies were found!
Lovely Meal in MalmoLovely Meal in Malmo
Lovely Meal in Malmo

One of the best fish meals I ever had with real Lingonberries!
Fjallbacka ArchepeligoFjallbacka Archepeligo
Fjallbacka Archepeligo

Ingrid Bergman had a vacation home on one of these islands. They are still popular
Fjallbacka from the DockFjallbacka from the Dock
Fjallbacka from the Dock

The town is dominated by the large cliff on the right
Catching Up!Catching Up!
Catching Up!

I have to say that the European system of sleeping with duvets is really civilized. Don't know how that got lost in the US.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb