Stockholm day two


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
May 24th 2010
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

24 May 2010

Sunny and clear weather returned and today we saw Stockholm at its best.

We started by walking around Sodermalm an island to the south where we looked at Katarina Kirk built on the site where many of Sweden’s nobility were burned as heretics in 1520 by invading Danes. On our way bak to the Old Town we were treated to excellent views of the rest of the city.

From there we took a ferry across the harbour to Djurgarden, the National City Park where we spent about three hours at the amazing Vasa Museum. Vasa was a large warship built to a design that was both too tall and too narrow and she sank on her maiden voyage in Stockholm Harbour in 1628 after about 20 minutes of sailing. She was preserved by the brackish Baltic waters, was raised in an almost complete condition in 1961 and is now housed in a purpose built building.

We spent the early evening wandering around the city admiring the buildings and then met John again who treated us to a meal not surprisingly in an Irish pub near where he lives.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.49s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb