Adventure Trip to Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
September 13th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hej!

Picking up from where I left of last time....
I attended the F.C. København vs. Brøndby soccer game with all of the students in my program who are taking a Danish language and culture class. We had a lot of fun watching the game and also watching the people who watched the game; there were some die hard fans.

The following weekend (Sept. 5th and 6th) I went on an adventure trip to Sweden. At 7:30am around 40 students showed up in downtown Copenhagen to depart for Sweden. We took a ferry from Helsingør (in Denmark) to Helsingborg (in Sweden). The ferry took only about 15 minutes, and you can actually easily see the Swedish coastline from the Danish coastline. When we departed the ferry in Sweden we had a little drive to some docks on the "Rønne Å" where a tour group met us and gave us canoes with no instructions what-so-ever. I was in a canoe with my friend Julia, and we had a great time canoeing for 3 hours in questionable weather. It was good weather for about 30 minutes, then it down poured on us for 10 minutes, and every so often after that, and we were soaking wet the rest of the 3 hours. We all just started laughing when it poured, because what else could we do?

When we had the group rounded up and out of the water we drove to our hostel in Jonstorp. This hostel used to be an old manor house or something, it was beautiful. It was out in the countryside, had its own garden, a gazebo, firepit, and slippers for us when we got inside. We warmed up and changed clothes and had soup for lunch.

After lunch, we went hiking to a place called Nimis in Skåne, Sweden. It is a hard place to explain, but wikipedia does a decent job.
It is basically a place on the beach where a man decided that he would build giant structures out of driftwood that he found. He started in 1980, and I believe he still goes there and adds on to the structures today. Since he built it on a nature reserve, the government was not pleased, and the man actually declared the area surrounding Nimis its own nation titled Ladonia. Yes, this many is probably crazy. It starts as a narrow walkway/stairway
OrienteeringOrienteeringOrienteering

View from the lighthouse
down to the beach and the other structures. We spent a lot of time here playing in the "forts", climbing and looking around. I have never seen anything like this place.

When we returned in the evening we had dinner at the hostel and got to know each other a bit better. I made great friends with the girls in my room. The next morning we woke up early, had breakfast, packed our lunches, and left the hostel. We drove to Kullaberg Nature Reserve and broke into two groups. My group was then split again into groups of 6 or something, and we went orienteering, which I guess is a hugely popular thing to do in Europe. We were given a map marking where we were to go, and little tasks to do at each of these places. It was a competition between all the different groups, and mine won! A few of the things we had to do were: build a rock tower on the beach, tie different kinds of knots with rope, estimate the distance to things from a lighthouse, etc. After we returned from orienteering and ate lunch, the groups switched and now I went repelling. We started out on a baby hill, and then got to repel down a 25 meter cliff over the ocean. It was absolutely beautiful, and most people enjoyed it!
Afterwards we were all physically exhausted from the intense weekend, and climbed onto the bus to go home. It was an awesome experience, and i was achy for the next few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

SwedenSweden
Sweden

Beginning of the canoe adventure
NimisNimis
Nimis

Looking down at Nimis
NimisNimis
Nimis

Makeshift stairs made out of driftwood
NimisNimis
Nimis

A few of the structures
NimisNimis
Nimis

One of these structures takes about 75 tons of driftwood.
OrienteeringOrienteering
Orienteering

Climbing back up after tying the knots
OrienteeringOrienteering
Orienteering

Tying ropes
RepellingRepelling
Repelling

Repelling off the 25 meter cliff
Canoe TripCanoe Trip
Canoe Trip

Julia and I after canoeing.


Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb